Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The McGuire Lab is seeking a Staff Scientist to assist with the development, validation, and testing of novel vaccine candidates aimed at preventing HIV-1. The candidate will perform and in-depth characterization of the B cell and antibody response to novel HIV-1 candidate vaccines, perform data analysis, prepare reports/manuscripts, and supervise lab staff and related activities.
Assignments will be project oriented where goals are long term, rather that experiment oriented. The candidate will work independently and supervise research technicians and assist graduate students as needed.
- PhD in immunology, or a related field and 2+ years relevant postdoctoral experience. Expertise in B cell immunology is highly desirable.
- Experience with multicolor flow cytometry panels (>10 colors) and/or FACS. Experience with molecular biology and biochemistry, including PCR, cloning, protein purification, and the analysis of protein-protein interactions is preferred. Experience with next generation sequencing and analysis would be beneficial.
- The candidate should have a proven track record of publication and written communication skills
- Must be willing to work with pre-clinical animal models including non-human primates. Must be independent, show initiative, willingness to take up new skills and responsibilities, and be a team player.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to work independently are essential to success in this position
- The candidate must be self-motivated, able to multitask and to work within a very collaborative environment
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our HR Operations at HRops@fredhutch.org or by calling 206-667-4700.