GMHC is a not-for-profit, data-driven, volunteer-supported, and community-based organization committed to national leadership in the fight against HIV/AIDS. We provide HIV prevention and coordinated care services to people living with or affected by HIV/AIDS in New York City.
The People Operations team effectively handles a wide range of matters which include; maintaining a high-performance workforce, staff support and appreciation, recruitment, benefit administration, compliance with laws and regulations, adherence to agency policies and procedures, strategic planning and best practices.
GMHC’s Human Resources Internship Program provides real-world experience working cross-departmentally with a staff of non-profit professionals who are dedicated to ending the HIV/AIDS epidemic and uplifting the lives of all affected. Working in the People Operations Department will allow students with excellent people skills and a strong interest in the functions of how an organization works to interact with employees of all levels.
The following duties are mandatory requirements of the internship:
· Place job advertisements on various professional career websites and college job boards.
· Screen resumes, coordinate interviews and act as a line of communication for candidates.
· Create a system to properly store and retain client job applications.
· Create a system to properly store and retain miscellaneous job applications.
· Assist with staff benefit paperwork and enrollments.
· Assist with staff and vendor inquires.
· Research laws, regulations and mandates in regards to healthcare changes and policies.
Employee File Management & Compliance
· Audit personnel and benefit files to validate data and ensure all required documents are obtainable.
· Audit employee Form I-9 to validate data and ensure all required documents are obtainable.
· Assist with updating the HRIS with staff Performance Review data and documents.
· Work with the People Operations Team to audit and update data within the HRIS.
· File all employee paperwork on a regular basis.
· Create a system to properly store and retain departmental paperwork.
· Act as a resource for frequently asked employee questions about company policies, rules and benefits.
· Work with the Senior Vice President, People Operations & Compliance to edit and update the Employee Handbook.
· Assist the Senior Vice President, People Operations & Compliance with special projects.
· Assist the People Operations Team with all meeting and event preparation.
The following duties are to be performed as assigned by the supervisor:
· Prepare and deliver a final presentation to the Senior Management Team at the end of the internship with recommendations and best practices for employee appreciation initiatives.
Education and Certification
Applicants must be enrolled in a degree program as an undergrad (Junior or Senior) or graduate student in Human Resources, Business Management or related field.
In addition to the above-listed intern responsibilities and educational requirements, the ideal candidate for this position possesses most or all the following:
· Demonstrated skills in research, writing and critical thinking.
· Excellent communication and leadership skills.
· Computer literacy in MS Office.
· Some knowledge of labor and benefit laws/standards.
· Capacity to work in a dynamic, small-team environment on multiple projects simultaneously.
· Desire to work in a multi-cultural environment where commitment to diversity based on race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation and physical ability is an important institutional value.
· Basic knowledge of and commitment to HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment.
· 3 month time commitment
· Ideally 2x per week with a minimum of 3 hours per day; Wednesday availability required
Email the following to Internships@gmhc.org
· Cover Letter
This is an unpaid internship. We will work with students on what their goals are for the internship and can help a student to obtain academic credit for the internship.
Due to COVID-19, GMHC building operations are closed, though we are providing many services remotely. While we do not yet know the timeline for reopening building operations, applicants should be prepared to work both remotely and onsite. To minimize risk when we do reopen, we will be following all safety guidance directives from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and NY State Department of Health.