Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
At Gift of Life Marrow Registry we believe every person battling blood cancer deserves a second chance at life — and we are determined to make it happen. We are singularly passionate about engaging the public to help us get everyone involved in curing blood cancer, whether as a donor, a volunteer or a financial supporter. It all begins with one remarkable person, one life-changing swab and one huge win — finding a match and a cure.
The Gift of Life Campus Ambassador Program (CAP) Internship enlists students like you for an opportunity to educate your community and peers about how you can make a positive impact on society with a very small act. By reaching out to your friends, professors, classmates and clubs you’re involved in, you have the potential to speak with many more students than anyone sitting in our offices would.
Check out the impact that our CAP Interns have already made here: www.giftoflife.org/dc/cap1
Gift of Life CAP Interns will display professionalism when representing Gift of Life. CAP Interns will be representing Gift of Life and are asked to maintain a standard of professionalism. CAP Interns are asked to perform at least 5- 10 hours of work per week.
Gift of Life CAP Interns will learn and gain leadership experience through working directly with staff to develop an outreach strategy to deploy at their school. Interns will be responsible for working with various groups on campus, including students, professors and administration to educate and motivate them to become involved in Gift of Life’s mission. Through effective outreach, interns will help grow the number of registered volunteered donors who feel passionate about making a difference.
Gift of Life CAP Interns will enhance their written and oral communication skills by reaching out to professors, clubs and organizations to request to present. Presentations will further develop public speaking skills. Interns will work with staff to design presentations appropriate in length and subject matter for the group that is being presented to.
Gift of Life CAP Interns will enhance their critical thinking skills. Examples include, but are not limited to, learning how to overcome objections to a club or organization saying no to a request to present or how to overcome an obstacle in planning an event. Additionally, interns will need to think creatively about how to be most effective on campus in disseminating the mission using the tools and resources provided by the organization.
A goal of Gift of Life is to democratize the registry. Gift of Life CAP Interns will have the opportunity to present and work with diverse populations to educate them of the importance of joining the registry and explaining how we can change the odds for patients who need lifesaving donors for blood stem cell and marrow transplants.
Gift of Life CAP Interns are part of a team including their Recruitment Specialist/Mentor and other CAP Interns at their school or within their region. CAP Interns have the opportunity to work individually and in collaborative groups. Contact with the team will occur through email and phone. However, in-person training and ability to have staff at events will be available to all students. Students will also receive mentor-ship and direct supervision via BlueJeans video conferencing and email.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program
- Must be involved in at least one on-campus organization preferably with a leadership role
- Interested candidates should be passionate about our mission of saving the lives of those affected by leukemia, lymphoma, similar life-threatening conditions and blood cancers.
- Interested candidates should have past experience with philanthropy or community action.
- Social Media Savvy
- Must be fluent with Microsoft Word and Powerpoint
- As this will be a remote opportunity applicants will be supervised over phone, email, video chat, and through our online database, which will track your progress in, real-time
Gift of Life’s Commitment to CAP Interns
1. CAP Interns will receive full training on the history and mission of Gift of Life.
2. CAP Interns will receive full training on how to educate your peers, host a donor drive and present to groups.
3. CAP Interns are assigned a mentor. Mentor are Gift of Life staff members.