Associate Scientist / Senior Associate Scientist, Bioassays
Specific Responsibilities and skills for position
· A good understanding of Bioassay method development (ELISA, Receptor Binding, Flow Cytometry, and Cell-based) for early and late stage biotherapeutics is required. The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate hands-on experimental responsibilities in the laboratory, independently champion technology development projects, be involved in new assay evaluation and optimization, and define GMP potency platforms.
· The candidate will contribute to the developing and validating potency assays, confirming the potency final drug substance and drug product, participating in structure activity relationship work as part of a team to characterize the molecule, degradation pathways and define critical quality attributes in a phase appropriate context. The candidate will also participate in process development and compatibility studies, as required.
· Works with Gilead internal researchers in the identification and selection of robust potency assays and optimization efforts for GMP applications. Identifies and deploys orthogonal characterization methods to aid in identifying critical quality attributes. Responsible for production and maintenance of all critical custom reagents and cell lines used in potency assays.
· The applicant should be an effective communicator of ideas, project goals and results to team members across cross-functional roles/departments. Ability to proactively identify issues and develop solutions in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment. This is a highly collaborative environment where willingness and ability to communicate and work effectively with individuals across various project teams is essential.
· Candidates should be self-motivated and organized, familiar with the relevant literature, and enjoy scientific investigation and thinking, proactively identify issues and develop solutions in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment. The applicant is also expected to exercise considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments, and should be an effective communicator of ideas, project goals, and results to team members across cross-functional roles/departments.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
· Under general supervision, develop and validate potency assays to support biological drug development.
· Operates scientific equipment, selects appropriate methods and techniques to perform experiments, and prepare related reports. Plan and organize details of experiments with guidance.
· Demonstrate good verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills. Be able to work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative working environment.
· Knowledge of GMP, GLP or GxP is highly preferred.
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
· 5 – 8 years of experience with B.S. degree, or 2 – 5 years of experience with M.Sc. in biology or relevant scientific discipline. May consider Ph.D. graduated in the recent 0-2 years.
· Good communication skills (both verbal and technical) and interpersonal skills are required. Must be able to work in highly flexible and effective teams.
· Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Demonstrates ability to recognize anomalous and inconsistent results and interpret experimental outcomes. Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought in suggesting experimental design and research strategy.