For over 30 years, GLAAD has been a dynamic media force rewriting the script for LGBTQ acceptance. Our work tackles tough issues that shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change. GLAAD operates with support from foundations, corporations and individuals from every corner of the United States. We pride ourselves on recruiting a highly skilled staff of more than 50 people in multiple offices and managing an annual operating budget in excess of $12 million.
GLAAD’s internship program is a unique opportunity to contribute to the inner workings of a national leader in the fight for LGBTQ acceptance. The GLAAD Media Institute (GMI) Intern is part of a dynamic team that provides education, consultation and research to accelerate acceptance for the LGBTQ community, in accordance with GLAAD’s mission. The GMI intern will support the Associate Director in logistics, community outreach, promotion, and facilitation of GLAAD Media Institute courses and workshops. For more information about the GLAAD Media Institute, click here.
This role requires an energetic, dedicated and detail-oriented person who can manage multiple tasks. This individual is a team player with an entrepreneurial spirit, willingness to learn and ability to manage multiple tasks while adapting to shifting priorities. This will be a hybrid remote 3-month, part-time paid internship.
- Support scheduled training and consultations for community and corporate partners hosting or attending a GMI course or workshop
- Attend and provide production support for GMI courses and workshops
- Field interest and inquiries in courses, workshops, and individual training
- Enter participant information for alumni into the GLAAD database, providing helpful notes from trainers
- Engage with GMI alumni, track media hits and accomplishments for promotion, communicate about opportunities for further engagement with GLAAD.
- Provide background research on initiatives driven by the GLAAD Media Institute
General Knowledge & Competencies
- Strong written and oral communication skills with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks to meet deadlines, and desire to be a self-starter.
- Experience in drafting media pitches, press releases, news articles and other communications materials.
- Ability to work under pressure with a tight turnaround.
- Initiative for motivation and problem solving
- Inclusivity is a vital part of GLAAD’s work. Skills necessary to create a more diverse and inclusive environment are a plus. Strong commitment and passion for GLAAD’s mission and core values
- Desire to learn skills and teach them to others.
- Proficiency with office technologies including G-Suite and MS Office Suite
Ideal candidate is a recent graduate (graduated within the past year) or an undergraduate/graduate student in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, digital media fields.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
GLAAD was established with the premise that expanding diversity within the organization enhances the work experience and furthers the understanding of the entire mission that GLAAD is based upon. An atmosphere of civility and mutual respect towards difference is indispensable to the work process and enables the free interchange of ideas that is the basis of a successful organization. These differences may be cultural, ethnic, religious, intellectual, ideological or political. Each of these qualities is integral to the identity we form as individuals, and all are essential to creating a vibrant workforce here at GLAAD comprised of individuals with unique perspectives and backgrounds. GLAAD has committed itself to a workforce of inclusion, respect for difference, and fairness, and guarantees the same rights to all its employees to ensure the fullest degree of success within the organization.