Job Title: Livestock Farm Hand
Reports To: Livestock Manager
FLSA Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Position Type: Full-time
Regular Work Hours: 40-45 hours per week
Compensation: $15-20/hr (DOE)
Date Created/Last Updated: 10/26/2020
Location: Cold Spring, NY
The Glynwood Center for Regional Food and Farming is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This is a hands on position to assist the Livestock team with daily chores related to pasture management, fencing, and animal care.
As a nonprofit that derives the majority of its funding from charitable contributions, Glynwood believes in fostering a culture of philanthropy among supporters, staff, board, volunteers and program participants. As with all Glynwood employees, the Farm Hand will be called upon regularly to offer testimonials communicating the impact of their work and/or participate in storytelling projects led by the development and communications team.
Essential Job Duties
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the following essential functions.
- Livestock handling, fencing, and moving animals in pastures
- Assist with pasture management, including mowing and brush clearing
- Set up, move, repair, and store fencing
- Transporting animals to the processing facility with a trailer
- Assist the Livestock Manager with veterinary care and treatment of sick and injured animals as well as regular preventative care
- Assist with hoof trimming, tagging, shearing, and other animal care chores
- Assist with livestock record keeping
- Assist with meat inventory management
- Attention to detail and organized around performing tasks safely, without supervision, and as part of a team
- Ability to operate a truck and basic farm equipment safely and effectively
- Experience driving a trailer, operating a skid steer and tractor preferred
- Basic carpentry skills a plus
- Ability to perform outdoor physical labor in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 pounds consistently
- Interest in regenerative agriculture, pasture-based livestock systems, and animal welfare
- Experience handling all classes of livestock
- Ability to work with Glynwood employees in a collegial manner
The position may supervise volunteer crews and apprentices in pasture maintenance tasks, fencing, and moving animals with the approval of the Livestock Manager.
- Participate in regular team check-ins
- Attend safety trainings as required
Most of the work is performed outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
This is a physically active role. The Livestock Farm Hand must be able and willing to
- Handle and move large and small animals
- Herd large animals safely and effectively
- Handle hay bales, unload bags of feed
- Muck the barn
- Perform other physical activities as needed for performance of livestock work
- Work steadily outdoors in heat, cold, rain, and wind. (Working outdoors is not required when
conditions are hazardous to human health)
Travel and Weekend Work
Occasional day trips to work at other Glynwood sites transporting livestock. This position is required to work at least one weekend a month.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED
- At least one year of experience on a working livestock operation
- Operation of basic farm equipment
Preferred Education and Experience
- Training and experience handling a variety of livestock species
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Affinity for Glynwood’s mission
- Valid US Driver License in good standing
- Provable eligibility to work in the US
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To Apply: Send your resume, cover letter, and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate which position you are applying for.