Hillsborough YMCA is seeking Site Assistants for our after school care program in our Franklin Township, NJ program. Under the direction of the Site Supervisor and the Program Director, the Afterschool Site Assistant is responsible for supervising a group of children. The Afterschool Site Assistant establishes relationships with children and their parents while providing a safe, pleasant and caring atmosphere during afterschool. This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Provides direct supervision of a group of children in an afterschool program. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall afterschool experience.
Hours: 2:30pm-6pm Monday-Friday Hours can be flexible, applicants should bring in their schedule to discuss during interview.
- Assists lead counselor with supervision of a group of 16-30 children
- Assumes lead counselor responsibility in their absence
- Works with lead counselor to deliver innovative games and activities to keep children engaged
- Establishes relationships with children and their parents
- Engages each camper by name and communicate with them to ensure quality, fun, and a safe experience
- Supervises a group of 6-8 children during field trips accounting for their safety and whereabouts at all times and retrieves necessary medications for campers
- Communicates with students, parents, peers, and leadership staff to ensure quality, fun, and safe programming
- Seeks feedback from lead counselors and implements changes
- Embraces 4 core values and encourages peers and students to do so
- Attends trainings, seminars and meetings as required
- Adheres and incorporates the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and educates members about the YMCA mission and goals
- Must be 16 years old
- Must have experience working with children
- Must be able to handle difficult situations
- Must have ability to learn and think quickly to solve child-to-child situations
Benefits of working part-time at GSCY include:
- FREE Individual Membership Access to any YMCA in the Nation.
- 10% Discount on most programming at Greater Somerset County YMCA.
- Access to one of the leading retirement programs “Y Retirement Fund” from the first day of employment.
- Opportunities for professional development, mentoring, growth, and promotion throughout the YMCA Movement.
- Supportive and inclusive community for people of all backgrounds and access to Employee Resource Networks.
Greater Somerset County YMCA is a drug free work environment. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information who share our values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.