Greater Somerset County YMCA (GSCY) is a local nonprofit committed to strengthening community by connecting all people to their potential, purpose and each other. At GSCY, we focus on empowering young people, improving health and well-being, and inspiring action in and across communities. By bringing together people from different backgrounds, perspectives and generations, we ensure that we all have access to the opportunities, relationships and resources necessary to learn, grow and thrive. To learn more about GSCY, visit our website: http://gscymca.org
Hillsborough YMCA is seeking qualified Teacher Assistants who will assist the Head Teacher in implementing developmentally appropriate curriculum. At the Y, our curriculum encourages learning through exploration and discovery, and promotes the development of a positive self-image. Our Teacher Assistants report to the Head Teacher and are responsible for assisting with Arts & Crafts projects, conducting “circle time”, helping during lunch/snacks and diapering/potty training (room specific). Our Teacher Assistants model positive social interactions and language, and implement positive class management techniques and strategies.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Assist Head Teacher in creating and leading developmentally appropriate lessons and activities.
- Work as a supportive team member.
- Maintain a clean and safe classroom environment, by reporting and / or removing all potential hazards and by setting up spaces and materials with a focus on supporting child learning.
- Maintain accurate program documentation including by not limited to incident, accident and behavior reports, attendance sheets, sign-in / sign-out sheets, development and growth forms; document eating and sleeping, as well as any areas of concern.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma
- Minimum of one year of experience working with young children in a group setting.
- Knowledge of child development and developmentally appropriate practices.