San Juan, Puerto Rico with International Institute of Tropical Forestry
The position is in the Library at the International Institute of Tropical Forestry, USDA Forest Service, serving the professional research staff and others working in tropical forestry and related fields. The Library serves as a documentation center as its collection of tropical forestry and ecological materials in the largest in the western hemisphere and second in size in the world.
- Analyzes and indexes incoming material, cross-referencing material be able to retrieve as much information as possible for input into the electronic database. Classifies and catalogs library holdings using Library of Congress classification schemes and subject headings.
- Follows the accuracy of the IITF library component of the Forest Service Library Network electronic database. The IITF library is a member of the network. Verifies accuracy of database, checks the database frequently to ensure it is up to date.
- Stays current with innovation in pertinent electronic systems, files, and reference services. Identifies and attends meetings or workshops, related to library automation, online searching or related electronic systems training to update skills and be aware of new systems or features.
- Monitors incoming documentation concerning electronic cataloging and related bibliographic databases both online and/or other formats.
- Provides alerts to pertinent literature. Enters the IITF collection both retrospectively and currently, into the FSLN electronic bibliographic catalog.
- Through the electronic catalog effort supports various Institute staffs in responding to requests of a vast number of local and foreign visitors working in tropical forestry/wildlife or related fields.
- Bachelors or Masters degree candidates preferable in Library Science. Knowledge in library protocols.
- Requirement: fluent in English and Spanish, spoken and written.
- Skills: computer literate, basic statistics, good with teamwork, flexibility under quickly changing working conditions (i.e., pandemic), can work independently, can search and learn independently
- Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, MS Outlook, MS Teams, Zoom, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google sheets, Google Slides, and related tools.
- Health Insurance coverage
- $2,750 travel and training
- $50 per month commuting allowance (if in person work is allowed and restrictions are lifted)
- Forest Service Certificate of eligibility for merit announcements after completing the internship.
*This is a 1099 position. Persons paid on a 1099 basis are independent contractors and are self-employed. Independent contractors are required to pay all self-employment taxes (Social Security & Medicare) as well as income tax. Independent contractors generally do not receive any type of employment benefits from the client. For more information please refer to www.irs.gov or talk with a tax professional.
Questions? Email Jaina Reed at email@example.com