How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Anesthesia Assistant supports the anesthesiologists and nurse anesthetists by the preparation and set up of appropriate equipment and supplies for each surgical case. This includes connecting monitoring lines preparing infusion sets, applying to the patient, and operating all common physiological monitors and drawing arterial blood gas and other blood specimens. Able to operate, calibrate and perform routine maintenance on a variety of technical equipment used in the operating room. In the operation of activated coagulation time the incumbent must be able to apple several specialized tests to analyze blood clotting in patients undergoing surgery.
A day in the life of an Anesthesia Assistant at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Active participant of the anesthesia team: Provides a full range of specialized procedures and techniques used in the treatment plan for patients undergoing anesthesia, including emergency situations.
- Equipment Maintenance: Evaluates current equipment and technology and keeps records on age of existing equipment. Records regular maintenance and repairs of equipment. Sets the schedule for replacement of equipment as useful life is maximized.
- Collects blood specimens: Follows established methods and aseptic techniques. Complies with safety recommendations and requirements. Displays a strong awareness of environmental concerns.
- Identifies and arranges for in-service education: Identifies educational needs in conjunction with the Chief of Anesthesia; arranges for at least one in service per quarter and works with vendors to conduct in service if appropriate.
- Maintains Anesthesiology Schedule: Works with Chief of Anesthesia and OR scheduling office to develop monthly staffing schedule for all areas requiring assistance. Completes schedule and posts two weeks prior to beginning of next schedule.
- Oversees equipment and supply utilization. Tracks and trends supply utilization Eliminates unnecessary or infrequently utilized supplies. Evaluates new and alternative equipment and supplies as requested by Corporate Materials Supply Chain initiatives.
- Organizes and manages the anesthesia workroom: Uses judgment and initiative to select appropriate instruments ad methods, recognizes conditions that could have potentially harmful outcome to patient, and troubleshoots problems with equipment and supplies to avoid complications. Cleans and decontaminates room before new patient arrival.
- Assists in positioning and supporting patients for regional anesthesia procedures such as spinals and epidurals.
- Demonstrates a high level of technical competence. Operates, calibrates and performs routine maintenance on a variety of technical equipment in an appropriate and timely manner.
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent is required
- Experience in a healthcare setting is preferred
- Knowledge of sterile technique, asepsis, and ability to apply such skills is required
- A certification as a Anesthesia Technician or Technologist is preferred