The Cardiovascular Tech will assist physicians with all procedures, including Cardiac Catheterization, Angioplasty, Atherectomy, TEC, Rotablator, Valvuloplasty, Intra-vascular Ultrasound, Pulmonary Angiograms, Insertion of Intra aortic balloon pumps and stents (including coronary and billiary) as well as acquiring the knowledge and skill to assist in the performance of all other procedures and new technologies which arise during the course of research and development of new means and products
1. Prepares sterile tray for each procedure and organizes specific equipment for each procedure
2. Prepares patient prior to procedure, attaches EKG leads to patient, perform betadine scrub according to protocol and drape patient.
3. Assists cardiac catheterization nurse in the preparation of patient for monitoring.
4. Calibrates and tests transducer for accurate pressure readings.
5. Assists physician throughout diagnostic, and/or all interventional procedures.
6. Loads and operates power injector.
7. Utilizes and maintains the required standards for the operation of digital cine technologies including protocols for storage and retrieval of patient images and hemodynamic records.
8. Ensures proper downloading of all CD acquisitions to the hospital mainframe so they may be available for review through intranet with internet capabilities.
9 Assists nurse and physician in supportive measures necessary to restore and/or maintain patients well being in an emergency situation.
10. Assists in the removal of procedural sheaths from the patient after transfer to the nursing care unit or CCL Recovery Room.
11. Assists in the insertion of all vascular closure devices as the access point for proper inter-vascular stability.
12. Assists in inventory control by notifying appropriate individual of diminished non-store room supplies.
13. Assists with maintenance, calibration and routine periodic evaluation of all diagnostic and technical equipment.
14. Assists nurse and physician in supportive measures necessary to restore and/or maintain patient’s well being in an emergency situation.
15. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. High school diploma or equivalent; college background.
2. Familiarity with computers, hemodynamic monitoring and sterile operative techniques.
3. Within 1 year of hire must have successfully passed RCIS exam given by CCI or Radiologic Technologist License.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Bachelor of Science.
2. Prior experience in a cardiac catheterization laboratory or invasive procedure area. 6-12 months during CVT accredited program or 2 years in another cardiac vascular laboratory.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.