How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Dietician role serves as a liaison between the patient, nursing and medical staff and the Food and Nutrition Department, regarding optimal nutrition care for the patient. S/he assesses the nutritional needs, develop individualized dietary plans, provides dietary counseling for residents/ patients as well as participates in in-service education for dietary employees to assure high quality meal service.
A day in the life of a Dietitian at Hackensack Meridian Health Nursing and Rehab facilities includes:
- Provide nutritional counseling to patient/family in their homes as prescribed by a physician. Assure that timeliness of initial assessment meets department guidelines and medical record review indicates that the medical nutrition therapy provided is appropriate to the patient’s condition/diagnosis. Assure that consults are completed by the department timeframe.
- Develop, implement and promote a quality medical nutrition therapy based on patient needs. Assure that nutrition assessments, reassessments and care plans are completed to meet each patient’s identified needs. Evaluate the appropriateness of diet prescriptions and recommend and implement changes when necessary.
- Communicate with case manager on patient progress and needs. Participate in care plan management.
- Collaborate with patient care staff/team members to address continuum of care needs for each patient as necessary, prior to discharge.
- Provide nutrition education/counseling to patients and/or family members in an effective and professional manner. Incorporate each patient’s readiness to learn and their educational needs into the nutrition assessment as necessary.
- Measure and document comprehension/ understanding of medical nutrition therapy principles.
- Provide educational materials to patient/family that are appropriate to the individual needs of the patient.
- Assure that medical nutrition therapy documentation is in keeping with departmental guidelines in 100% of the medical records reviewed. Assure documentation is completed in a timely manner.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH’s Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
- Lifts a minimum of 10 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 10 lbs. and stands a minimum of 4 hours a day.
- Regular contact with Medical Center personnel, patients and visitors.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- One (1) Year Experience
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred:
- Prior experience in Food Service
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Credentialed / Awarded by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) by Successfully Passing a Registration Examination