How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Social Worker collaborates with members of the healthcare team to facilitate the progression of the patient’s treatment and discharge plan.
A day in the life of a Social Worker at Hackensack Meridian includes:
- Assessing/considering the patient’s cultural and religious practices, emotional barriers, desire and motivation to learn, physical and cognitive limitations and language barriers
- Documenting findings on the Social Worker assessment form
- Developing and reinforcing a discharge plan, in collaboration with the patient/family and healthcare team that will provide maximum benefit for each patient
- Consulting/conferring with physicians and medical center staff regarding the patient’s medical situation, his/her psychological adjustment to illness/disability and/or continuing care needs
- Completion of Psychosocial Assessment and making appropriate referrals to DcP&P, Adult Protective Services, and other agencies as necessary
- Assisting with transfer or discharge of patient to another level of care or setting based on patient’s assessed needs and hospital’s capacity to provide care
- Notifying supervisor/manager, in a timely manner, of difficult discharge placement concerns
- Collaborating with Risk Management and legal staff on guardianship/other legal issues to prevent discharge delays
- Documenting and communicating information to Multidisciplinary Team in order to coordinate and maximize care
- Documenting medical records according to Department and Hospital Standards
- Accurately completing all transfer and discharge summary forms
- Patient Advocacy
- The part time position would be 4 days a week providing coverage at the Perth Amboy and Old Bridge campus as assigned.
- Current and valid LSW or LCSW in the State of New Jersey is required
- MSW from accredited school of social work is required
- One (1) or more years of acute care experience is preferred
- Case management and discharge planning experience is preferred
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills