Museum Storytellers provide a vital and engaging visitor experiences by delivering unique high-quality tours at the Moravian Museum and nearby historic sites.This position is perfect for curious researchers who wish to share their findings through engaging and innovative methods of storytelling. Museum Storytellers enthusiastically share the history of Bethlehem and engage visitor groups of all ages and connect them to the exhibit content in the museum. Storytellers will receive training and are expected to be able to discuss sensitive historical topics with visitors in a respectful and personable manner. Museum Storytellers receive access to conduct research and are encouraged to pursue the untold stories of Bethlehem. They assist with the mission of HBMS in bringing history to life by educating the public about Bethlehem’s rich heritage.
- Learn history and exhibition information to provide visitors a fun and engaging tour experience at the museum.
- Research and propose new tours/content to incorporate untold or overlooked histories
- Contribute to the development of new tour scripts
- Work with the storyteller cohort and Education Manager to establish 3-4 training sessions for docents and guides on best practices for museum education and tours
- Promote current & upcoming tours, exhibits, and events at all HBMS sites.
- Share museum guidelines with visitors to maintain the safety of visitors and the collections when providing a tour.
- Consistent availability is expected for scheduled museum open hours on weekends. Additional availability on weekdays for private group tours is preferable.
- Able to present information with a focus on enthusiasm, accesibility, and visitor engagement.
- Able to adapt presentation as needed to engage diverse groups of visitors of all ages.
- Able to discuss sensitive historic topics with visitors and answer difficult questions respectfully.
- Preferred -Experience in museum education, as a guide for a museum or historic walking tour and/or experience with theatrical performance
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Duties of this position are performed in a museum setting as well as at various HBMS historic sites. The position frequently requires standing, sitting, bending, walking and climbing stairs.
Note: This is a part time position.