Job Title: Early Childhood Education Teacher
Program: Early Childhood Education
Reports To: Early Childhood Education Manager
This role requires in-person work in community and after-school settings and requires proof of vaccination.
The Hunts Point Alliance
Hunts Point Alliance for Children (HPAC) is a non-profit organization transforming the lives of children and families in Hunts Point, a vibrant South Bronx neighborhood with significant opportunity to improve child well-being. Founded in 2006 in response to the low education outcomes of at-risk students in Hunts Point, HPAC pursues the bold mission of expanding the hopes and potential of the neighborhood and its families. The organization accomplishes this by nurturing children and youth along their path to college or career. Since its founding, HPAC has grown to become a central community leader and currently directly serves approximately 300 children across programs that target early learning all the way through college, in addition to working with all community school and child-serving organizations towards making educational success and post-secondary options available for all Hunts Point children.
In addition to direct service, at the community level, HPAC is a convener of the neighborhood’s schools and community-based organizations, aligning their efforts, expanding opportunities, and leveraging resources to connect every family with much-needed support.
The Early Childhood Education (ECE) Teacher takes an active role in the day-to-day operations of the entire ECE program spectrum through planning, teaching, and communicating with staff members, children, and families.
The ECE Teacher will lead instruction for both a morning class, Family School Skills, and an after school program, Literacy through Science, at a local partner school. Family School Skills is a twice weekly program for children 0-4 and their caregivers that focuses on pre-literacy and emotional development. The Literacy through Science program is for children in kindergarten and first grade, that aims to improve students reading, writing, and listening skills through sensory activities while increasing curiosity in the world through science.
- Demonstrate knowledge of early childhood pedagogy and trends in the field;
- Demonstrate cultural competency and respect for the child’s background by incorporating cultural, linguistic and familial values / beliefs into programming;
- Adapt and develop weekly lesson plans and implement age-appropriate curriculum and activities which aim to nurture and stimulate all domains of children’s development;
- Lead instruction Family School Skills programming and support other 0-4 program offerings;
- Lead Literacy through Science after school program in accordance with HPAC programmatic goals and mission
- Participate and lead community literacy events as assigned, including book distributions and other events.
- Work with team to recruit for all ECE programs to fulfill enrollment goals
- Provide and assure a healthy, safe, clean, and developmentally appropriate environment for children that reflects children’s learning and growth
- Assist with conducting developmental assessments and annual evaluations
- Maintain all requested data and report family changes in schedules and excessive absences to administration in a timely manner
- In virtual settings, assist with technical support during remote programming sessions on Zoom
- Must be able to collaborate and communicate professionally with staff, HPAC Alliance members, and local families at all times
- In accordance with our “team” philosophy, the person filling this position may occasionally be required to carry out or assist with other tasks in addition to the duties listed in this job description as assigned by the ECE Manager or Director of Programs
- Bachelor’s Degree in early childhood education with at least one year of relevant experience; Bachelor’s Degree in related field with at least 3 years direct early childhood teaching experience; or a CDA with 7 years early childhood experience.
- Possess a warm and nurturing disposition with children
- Good communication, problem-solving, and priority setting skills
- Bilingual: Fluent in Spanish, Creole, Arabic, or French preferred.
- Database management experience with Salesforce (a plus)
- Ability to kneel, bend, squat, lift, push, and pull up to 50 lbs
- Ability to work some weekends.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.