Back End Software Developer Co’op: (May – December) 2021
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today – planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
THIS POSITION IS FOR A 8 MONTH CO’OP THE IDEAL DURATION WILL BE MAY THROUGH DECEMBER FULL TIME. HOWEVER, PART TIME (20 HOURS) DURING FALL 2021 SEMESTER WILL BE CONSIDERED.
As a Back End Software Developer Co’op:
- You will contribute to the design and implementation of new database warehousing functionality that are reusable, scalable and meet critical architecture goals.
- Design and code servers, services, applications and databases that are reusable, scalable and meet critical architecture goals
- Are experienced with client-server architectures, networking protocols, application development, and using databases.
- Have an understanding of user and system requirements
- You will work in a dynamic, collaborative environment to understand requirements, design, code and unit and function test innovative applications, and support those applications for our highly valued customers.
- You will investigate and resolve function test, system test, and performance problems.
- Have an understanding of, or experience with, Agile development methodology.
Who You Are:
- You are highly motivated and have a passion for creating and supporting great products.
- You are great at solving problems, debugging, troubleshooting, designing and implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
- You have the ability to learn new skills quickly and use the skills efficiently but patience to get through a steep learning curve
- You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You are not afraid to take on new challenges, hard working, careful, detail-oriented, and a good team player who wants to help others.
This is an office based position located in IBM’s San Jose, CA or Littleton, MA office. However, remote work to start can be possible due to current circumstances.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Basic knowledge working with relational databases (SQL (Structured Query Language), joins, group by)
- Basic knowledge in one or more of the following technology areas: C++, C, Java, Ruby, Python, Perl, or comparable object oriented programming language
- Basic knowledge of operating systems and how they work (i.e. Operating systems courses, serialization, concurrency, multi-threading)
- Basic knowledge of computer science algorithms (sorting, hashing), and data structures (arrays, pointers, hash buckets)
- Familiar working with Linux, Unix, and Windows operating systems
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- At least 6 months experience working with required professional and technical requirements
About Business Unit
IBM’s Cloud and Cognitive software business is committed to bringing the power of IBM’s Cloud and Watson/AI technologies to life for our clients and ecosystem partners around the world. IBM provides you with the most comprehensive and consistent approach to development, security and operations across hybrid environments—with complete software solutions for business and IT operations, development, data science, security, and management. Our experts and software capabilities help organizations develop applications once and deploy them anywhere, integrate security across the breadth of their IT estate, and automate operations with management visibility. With IBM, you also have access to new skills and methods, governance and management approaches, and a deep ecosystem of industry experts and partners.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
IBM intends this job to be performed entirely outside of Colorado.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.