GIS Analyst Summer Intern: 2021 (Watson Advertising & Weather)
In the Information Age, data is the most valuable resource. If you can describe yourself as the powerful combination of data hacker, analyst, communicator, and advisor, our Data Specialist position is the right one for you. As a savvy liaison for our teams, you will create solutions and provide actionable insights that shape the future of our business.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The Weather Company, an IBM Business is seeking a GIS Analyst Summer Intern to join an exciting team of topnotch engineering talent at the world’s leading provider of weather data. The job will consist of technical work in the development and maintenance of the Weather Company’s Geographic Information System including the acquisition and input of spatial data, spatial analysis, geo-processing and general GIS support for Weather Company departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Assist with updates to spatial data used as input to Weather Channel forecast systems, online/mobile search tools and localized weather products.
● Create custom presentation quality maps using geo-database data as well as external data sources.
● Assist in research and acquisition of spatial data to support Weather Channel products and systems.
● Assist in Quality Control/Assurance of spatial data sets used in Weather Channel products and systems.
● Develop innovative solutions using GIS technology for a wide variety of business needs that support multiple customers.
Start and end dates for this role are Summer 2021 (~12 weeks)
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
● Working towards BS in Geographic Information Systems or BA in Geography with a specialization in Geographic Information Systems
● ESRI Software Suite (ArcGIS Desktop / ArcGIS Server)
● Geoprocessing Automation with Python and/or Model builder
● Geodatabase Design Concepts
● Cartographic Design Concepts
● RDBMS Concepts
● Ability to Work on Multiple Projects Simultaneously
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
● Meteorology Concepts
● Web Mapping Concepts and Tools
● Some professional experience, coursework and/or projects in the field of GIS utilizing the ESRI suite of Desktop GIS products.
About Business Unit
The Weather Company, an IBM Business is the world’s largest private weather enterprise, helping people make information decisions and take action in the face of weather. The company offers the most accurate, personalized and actionable weather data and insights to millions of consumers and thousands of businesses via Weather’s APIs and digital products from the web and mobile platforms. The products include a top weather app on all of the major mobile platforms globally; a top-20 U.S. website and the seventh most data rich site in the world; one of the world’s largest IoT data platforms; and industry-leasing business solutions.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.