At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM’s Intellectual Property and Licensing organization is missioned with both defending IBM’s vast array of patents and other IP assets, as well as driving a significant amount of IBM’s net income through licensing or selling IBM IP.This team works closely with our clients to identify opportunities to advance their business objectives by leveraging assets from IBM Brands and IBM Research, worldwide. The team is comprised of seasoned IBM sales professionals, offering development professionals and a highly technical staff as well as experienced executives who have a deep understanding of IBM’s Patent, Brands and Research product portfolios.
Our Patent Engineering team is responsible for the technical aspects of IBM patent licensing and assignment. The Patent Engineers are tasked with understanding the inventions in the vast IBM patent portfolio and being able to demonstrate the value of the patents to clients. To efficiently work with the portfolio, the team uses various tools.
Project: As a summer intern, you will work on creating new tools and enhancing existing systems. Additionally, you’ll learn about patents and have the opportunity to invent with our experienced Master Inventors and Senior Technical Staff Members.
You will give an overview of your project (it’s value and use), when you begin and upon completion, you will launch your product, asset or tool at our final showcase event and teach your team how to use your project across the IP organization and IBM.
As an Intellectual Property Software Developer Summer Intern you:
• Are experienced with client-server architectures, networking, application development, and using databases.
• Have experience using APIs.
• Understand user and system requirements
• Have an understanding of, or experience with, Agile development methodology.
What You’ll Do:
• You’ll work in a dynamic, collaborative environment to understand requirements, design, code and test innovative applications, and support those applications.
• You’ll employ IBM’s Design Thinking to create products that provide a great user experience along with high performance, security, quality, and stability.
• Design and code servers, services, applications and databases that are reusable, scalable and meet critical architecture goals.
Who You Are:
• You are highly motivated and have a passion for creating and supporting great products.
• You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills.
• You are great at solving problems, debugging, troubleshooting, designing and implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
• You have a basic understanding of software development and programming languages.
• You have the ability to learn new skills quickly and use the skills efficiently.
The goal of the internship is to have hands on experience working with an experienced IBM business development person on their active client engagements. Candidates must be willing to work onsite in Research Triangle Park, NC.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• Must have basic knowledge in one or more of the following technology areas: C++, C, Java, Ruby, Python, Perl, SQL
• Basic knowledge of operating systems and how they work (e.g., Operating systems courses); Container technologies; Internet Services; and/or Managed Services
• Basic understanding of user and system requirements
• Have an interest in, understanding of, or experience with Agile development methodology
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
• Skilled in working with Linux
• Familiarity with APIs
• Experience working with servers, applications, web development and databases