As an R&D Scientist, you will join our interdisciplinary research & new product development team focused on advancing our diagnostic product pipeline by designing new consumable platforms for immunoassays utilizing coated film technologies. The successful candidate will be motivated, inquisitive, and excel in a highly collaborative and multi-disciplinary environment.
What will you do?
- Collaborate across our organization to receive concept designs and direct evolution through early design phases to demonstrate assay feasibility.
- Research, test, and characterize new materials and formulations to support assay design and consumable development.
- Optimize assay designs to meet performance and manufacturing requirements.
- Effectively communicate design decisions and rationale to other technical leaders and across the organization.
- Plan and execute laboratory research independently, working with small project teams to direct experiment design and determine the next experimental steps.
- Document methods, techniques, and outcomes related to design history.
- Work cross-functionally with multiple project teams, prioritizing work accordingly.
- Accomplish project goals in a timely manner and with a high degree of quality.
What do you need to succeed?
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science/Engineering, Biomedical Engineering
- Strong initiative, flexibility, positive attitude, and the ability to function effectively in a highly collaborative team environment
- Excellent verbal, technical writing, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to maintain accurate and clear documentation. Good presentation skills.
- Strong technical decision-making skills and associated risk assessment. Demonstrated complex problem-solving skills.
- Experience with liquid film coating technology is strongly desired; additional experience in immunoassay and diagnostic techniques is beneficial.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Well-versed in safe laboratory practices.
This position will be based out of our Westbrook location. Due to the current pandemic, as it relates to COVID-19, our employees’ safety and well-being are top of mind for us. For those essential employees that must continue to work on-site, we have strengthened the preventative health measures already in place with new, more stringent actions. This includes but is not limited to making space for social distancing, use of mask/PPE, sanitize workstations, daily wellness checks, limited traffic flow by zones, and consistent real-time communication.
- Laboratory setting with varying levels of noise and exposure to various potential chemical and biological hazards.
- Compliance with approved laboratory practices is required.
We’re proud of the work we do, because our work matters. An innovation leader in every industry we serve, we follow our Purpose and Guiding Principles to help pet owners worldwide keep their companion animals healthy and happy, to ensure safe drinking water for billions, and to help farmers protect livestock and poultry from diseases. We have customers in over 175 countries and a global workforce of over 9,000 talented people.
So, what does that mean for you? We enrich the livelihoods of our employees with a positive and respectful work culture that embraces challenges and encourages learning and discovery. At IDEXX, you will be supported by competitive compensation, incentives, and benefits while enjoying purposeful work that drives improvement.
Let’s pursue what matters together.
IDEXX values a diverse workforce and workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
IDEXX is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws.