Many young adults graduate college with a drive to change their world and learn the best ways to support under-resourced communities. Impact America provides an opportunity for recent graduates to engage with their communities in a meaningful way, broadening their perspectives and making a real impact. Individuals who serve as an AmeriCorps member with Impact America spend a year of service after graduation at a nationally recognized organization working to mitigate the effects of poverty, while also gaining professional experience and a broadened perspective.
AmeriCorps members serving with Impact America engage with communities through Impact’s initiatives: FocusFirst and SaveFirst.
· FocusFirst ensures that children in urban and rural communities receive comprehensive vision care during their crucial formative years.
· SaveFirst provides free tax preparation to facilitate economic improvement for working families.
AmeriCorps members plan and execute all initiatives that operate in their state of service, as well as recruit and manage the service of college students as they participate in those initiatives. AmeriCorps members are in the community every day, collaborating with community partners and interacting with a diverse group of people, ranging from preschoolers to college students to working parents.
Service Term: October 4, 2021 -May 22, 2022
Time Commitment Approx. 15 hours per week.
· Conduct vision screenings at Head Start and daycare centers throughout your state of service.
· Process results from vision screenings to ensure that follow-up care is provided for all children who need it.
· Obtain certification as an Advanced Volunteer Tax Preparer
· Recruit and train college students on tax law.
· Manage students’ service at community-based sites
· Implement marketing strategies to encourage families to utilize free tax preparation.
· Develop community partnerships to establish tax preparation sites.
Positions are currently available in Memphis, TN.
Successful candidates will exhibit a commitment to improving the lives of economically disadvantaged families, a record of community service and/or civic engagement, leadership skills, the ability to work well with a diverse group of individuals (e.g., college students, children, community partners), flexibility in a fast-paced environment, and a positive attitude.
Impact America is an AmeriCorps Program®. Benefits include the following:
· $250 bi-weekly living stipend
· $1,678.57 education award (received upon completion of term of service)
· Meals when providing service outside of your home county
· Mileage reimbursement when driving your personal car for service
· All travel costs during overnight trips (hotel, rental car, meals)
· Ongoing professional development and training
For successful completion of the service term,, the member will receive an education award in the amount of $1,678.57. The member understands that their failure to disclose to the Program any history of having been released for cause from another AmeriCorps Program will render them ineligible to receive the education award. The member is entitled to the value of two (2) full time education awards in the course of their life, even if they serve for more than two terms of service.
Student Loan Forbearance
If the member has received forbearance on a qualified student loan during the term of service, the National Service Trust will repay a portion or all of the interest that accrued on the loan during the term of service. Note: The term of service may differ from your time commitment with the program.
· Documentation of status as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident alien (AmeriCorps eligibility requirement)
· Completion of a college degree (exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis with prior approval)
· Submit to criminal background check, including an FBI check, NSOPW check, a statewide check in the applicant’s state of residence at the time of application, a statewide check in applicant’s state of service (if different than state of residence)
· At least 18 years of age
Impact America welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. We have sought to identify the essential functions and physical requirements of all service positions and will make reasonable accommodations through scheduling, task reassignment, and other methods to accommodate applicants and AmeriCorps members. Please contact us should you need accommodations in order to apply.