Job Title: Research Associate I
Location: San Diego, CA
Schedule: 6+ Months
- This role supports the research function by assisting with basic research projects such as glassware and reagent needs of R&D lab functions by processing glassware and other technical materials in a GLP-compliant method.
- The research projects could be in molecular biology, immunology, microbiology or biochemistry.
- Prepares and weighs samples for testing and analysis.
- May setup and conduct tests, assays, and other protocols under the direction of an R&D scientist. Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs).
- Ensure all laboratory equipment and work areas are clean, sterile, and in proper working order.
- Responsible for calibration of instruments where needed, as well as ordering and restocking lab supplies/chemicals.
- Washes and sterilizes glassware and other technical materials according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Processes, picks-up, and delivers lab glassware as needed for end users.
- Prepares routine reagents/media, as well as process ad hoc reagent orders per SOPs as needed; Completes routine laboratory procedures ensuring accuracy and validity of results and assist with general laboratory procedures such as but not limited to preparation of solvents, buffers, resins, reagent solutions, media prep, etc. involving mixing of chemicals
- Conducts purchasing tasks to restock lab supplies, chemicals, and other consumables as needed
- Tracks monthly needs of internal customers and keep records of production inputs and outputs.
- Troubleshoots and maintains technical equipment dedicated for cleaning and autoclaving – sterilization.
- Follows Standard Operating Procedures, (SOPs) and area documentation, complies with policies and safety requirements of the area.
- Stores chemicals properly, disposes of chemical waste, adheres to safety procedures, and participates in safety programs.
- Tracks and documents chemical usage and inventory, and orders chemicals for biotech/pharmaceutical related processes as needed.
- Works in clean room conditions and wipes down work station to prevent contamination and maintains the integrity of production. Operates laboratory equipment and instruments. Ensures laboratory equipment and work areas are clean and sterilized.
- Provides quality support to all customers, while meeting key performance indicators.
- Assists other lab staff in executing their research projects and experiments.
- Analyzes antibody specificity and protein expression by Western Blot and SDS-PAGE and ELISA, respectively.
- Prepares and orders experimental components and supplies ahead of experimentation and as requested. Executes basic scientific methods with minimal supervision.
- Other lab related duties including: detailed, accurate record keeping, maintaining lab equipment and laboratory supplies.
- Assist other lab staff in executing their research projects and experiments.
- Analyzing antibody specificity and protein expression by Western Blot and SDS-PAGE and ELISA, respectively.
- Preparation and ordering of experimental components and supply ahead of experimentation and as requested.
- Execute scientific methods with minimal supervision once adept in the normal laboratory protocols.
- Other lab related duties including: detailed, accurate record keeping, maintaining lab equipment and laboratory supplies and working with glassware support staff.
- 0-3 years’ experience in laboratory setting.
- Theoretical and some working knowledge of scientific principles.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Reliability for executing extended scientific protocols.
- Excellent knowledge of MS-Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Able to lift/push/pull up to 50lb.
- Work standing for long periods of time. (minimum of 5 hrs per day)
This position will require working with hazardous materials, e.g. flammable & corrosive chemicals.
Hepatitis B Vaccination notification will be required.
Education: BS. degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Microbiology, Biology or other life science field