Who We Are
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a private, nonprofit corporation headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside Washington, DC. IDA’s mission is to answer the most challenging U.S. security and science policy questions with objective analysis leveraging extraordinary scientific, technical, and analytic expertise. IDA operates three Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDC’s).
The AP Accountant provides support to the Accounts Payable Supervisor with regards to IDA vendor invoices and employee/consultant travel reimbursements. This individual is expected to have a strong accounting foundation, experience with accounts payable processing and/or corporate travel programs, the ability to interpret regulations, such as; the JTR and IRS as it relates to company policies and maintains a working knowledge of the corporate electronic travel system. Under minimal supervision, performs a variety of complex day-to-day operations, involving, but not limited to, investigation and problem resolution, in support of Account Payable payments, audits and reconciliations.
- Responsible for reconciling a variety of accounts payable related accounts as part of period close of the general ledger.
- Responsible for investigation and resolution of ACH returns.
- Responsible for recording transportation cost associated with tickets purchase through the corporate travel agency.
- Serve as either the administrator or back up administrator for the electronic travel system.
- Responsible for processing and reconciliation of corporate credit card accounts.
- Responsible for the preparation and distribution of accurate 1099 forms and timely filing with the IRS.
- Act as the point of contact for external vendors, divisions and accounting staff with regards to resolving discrepancies and processing corrections related to accounts payable transactions.
- Manages special programs, such as; the Center’s SCAMP program, Director’s American Express program and Trustee processing.
- Monitor the purchasing card program to ensure card holders are submitting accurate and timely reconciliations and are complaint with company policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BS degree, preferably in Accounting or related business field plus 2-3 years of accounts payable experience OR equivalent work experience.
- Costpoint and/or Concur or commercial travel system experience strongly desired.
- Proficient in managing and handling electronic documents (pdf).
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and to interact effectively with all levels of personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish tasks accurately and efficiently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, meet regularly recurring deadlines and act with discretion.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check is required.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
Equal Opportunity Employer