BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC in Atlanta office was established in 1979 and has resettled over 27,000 refugees from 50 countries into the Greater Atlanta area. As the largest refugee resettlement agency in Georgia, the IRC in Atlanta resettles an average of 1,000 refugees into Georgia annually and provides additional services and assistance to another 2,500 refugees and asylees.
SCOPE OF CONNECT2SUCCESS PROGRAM INTERN WORK: The IRC’s Connect2Success Program provides holistic support to out-of-school refugee and immigrant youth to help them meet their educational and career goals. Participants gain skills and connect with academic and career opportunities to achieve their long-term success.
This position requires a minimum of 20 hours a week for at least three months. The hours for this position are flexible; however, will primarily be between 9AM and 5PM on weekdays, with occasional weekend activities.
· Assist with the case management and individualized career and academic advisement services for youth/young adults, including documentation, data entry and file maintenance;
· Assist with delivery of career readiness and educational workshops;
· Assist in planning and running group social and networking events for youth/young adults;
· Help identify local learning opportunities for youth/young adults;
· Assist with recruitment and support of Connect 2 Success volunteers.
· Excellent communication and writing skills;
· Organizational skills with attention to detail;
· Ability to work independently and take initiative in a fast-paced environment;
· An interest in international and refugee issues;
· Experience working with youth and/or young adults is preferred;
· Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects;
· Strong desire to help people and enthusiasm for working in a multi-cultural setting;
· Computer literacy, preferably with PC systems;
· A valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle is beneficial.
Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
For more information, please email VolunteerATL@rescue.org. To learn more about our organization, please visit www.rescue.org/Atlanta