The New Roots program intern reports directly to the New Roots Program Coordinator and supports efforts under the IRC’s New Roots program. New Roots focuses on bringing refugees together to build connections with their new homes through nutrition, healthy lifestyles, and community gardening. The New Roots intern will provide support for our Youth Food Justice. The Youth Food Justice program includes FoodCorps programming, a youth internship program at Clarkston High School, a garden club, and classes on nutrition and healthy eating throughout the community. The New Roots intern will also support adult education initiatives around healthy eating, food access, and community gardening.
- Assist with development and implementation of educational programs for Youth Food Justice program at Clarkston High School and other Clarkston-area schools.
- Support Youth Food Justice internship program for refugee high schoolers.
- Assist with development and implementation of adult education programs around nutrition, healthy eating, and community gardening.
- Perform routine outdoor garden maintenance as well as administrative duties.
- Assist in grant research and writing for local funding opportunities.
- Interest or experience in education, especially with high-school-aged youth.
- Strong interest in working with international clients and excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Basic experience in gardening and ability to lift up to 50 pounds strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to work with consideration and respect for cross-cultural differences.
- A clean driving record and reliable vehicle.
- Interns must be able to work at least 15 hours a week.
- Internship is from August to December.
- Some weekend and/or evening hours will be required.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.