BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 24 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC in Atlanta office was established in 1979 and has resettled over 27,000 refugees from 67 countries into the Greater Atlanta area. As the largest refugee resettlement agency in Georgia, the IRC in Atlanta resettles an average of 250 refugees into Georgia annually and provides additional services and assistance to another 2,500 refugees, immigrants and asylees.
SCOPE OF REFUGEE EMPLOYMENT CASEWORK INTERN WORK: The Refugee Employment Casework intern works with the IRC in Atlanta’s Early Employment team to assist eligible refugee clients find jobs and prepare them to enter the workforce by providing supporting services.
· Research potential employers and community partners as it relates to Early Employment
· Work one-on-one with refugee clients by conducting job readiness counseling and training
· Assist clients in filling out online and paper applications
· Accompany refugee clients to job interviews and orientations
· Provide general administrative support for Economic Empowerment team
· Strong interest in working with an international population
· Proficiency with employment related activities
· Proven ability to work with consideration and respect for cross-cultural differences
· Excellent communication and organization skills
· Ability to work independently
· Computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs and internet research
· Enthusiasm for helping people to learn and demonstrated professionalism
· Interns must be able to work at least 15 hours a week for at least three months
· Must have a valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle
Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
For more information, please contact us at VolunteerATL@Rescue.org. To learn more about our organization, please visit the IRC website at www.Rescue.org/Atlanta