The IRC’s Youth Futures Program addresses specific social and academic needs surrounding refugee and asylee youth through an after-school program and summer camp. Focused on academics, the after-school program helps students with their homework and school projects every school day. During summer break, the youth program offers a summer camp, which provides cultural, learning, social, and specific skill-building opportunities. This position generally requires a minimum of 15 hours a week for at least three months. The hours for this position are between 3:00 and 6:00pm during the school year and between 10:00am and 5:00pm during the summer.
- Assist high school refugee youth with homework
- Assist Youth Futures staff with program logistics
- Compile and update secondary and post-secondary resources and contacts
- Assist youth with college applications and/or writing resumes and searching for part-time/summer jobs
- Plan and prepare for Youth Futures events, especially Spring Break and Summer Program activities
- Build mentoring relationships with youth
- Enter data into databases and spreadsheets
- Provide other program and general administrative support as needed, such as documentation and file maintenance
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- An interest in international and refugee issues
- Experience working with youth and/or young adults is preferred
- Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
- Strong desire to help people and enthusiasm for working in a multi-cultural setting
- Computer literacy, preferably with PC systems
- A valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle is beneficial
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.