Position Title: Youth Tutor
Location: All programming will be remote online for spring of 2022. The IRC NYC Resettlement Office location is 263 W. 38th St., Floor 6 NY, NY 10018
Reports to: IRC NYC Youth Education Coordinator
- Training: Complete and submit all modules via Google Classroom
- First Day of Tutoring with Students: 1/12/2022
- Last Day of Tutoring with Students in Spring Term: 5/14/2022
- Wednesday – Friday: 3-5PM EST
- Saturdays: 10AM-12PM EST
Background: Since its inception in 1999, the IRC NYC Youth Education Department has provided refugee and other immigrant youth with year-round academic support, homework help, literacy training, English language learning, and enrichment activities. The IRC NYC Youth Education Department programs provide immigrant youth with linguistically supportive, culturally responsive, trauma-informed learning opportunities.
Scope of Work: IRC volunteer Youth Tutors provide tutoring, mainly consisting of homework help, essay writing/editing, and English language development support for refugee and immigrant youth, K-12. Each tutor works with 1-3 students each day of tutoring and is responsible for submitting a case note regarding each of their tutees’ progress for each session of tutoring within 24 hours of the date of service. Each tutor may work with a student whom they have worked with in the past or a new student, as assigned. Tutors support each student with the homework/assignment they require, spanning across academic subjects/disciplines, home-language, and English language development level.
Professional Development: All IRC Youth Tutors will complete and submit online Professional Development modules throughout the term via Google Classroom, as assigned.
Essential Position Functions:
- Uphold full commitment to weekly schedule of tutoring sessions without absence or tardiness.
- Facilitate homework/schoolwork help with refugee and immigrant youth tutees online.
- Support tutee English language learning from diverse home language backgrounds and English language development levels, as assigned.
- Complete and submit all trainings and professional development by deadline, as assigned.
- Uphold and promote policies and practices necessary to create a linguistically supportive, culturally responsive, trauma-informed learning environment.
- Uphold all IRC and program and child safeguarding policies and directives.
- Work and communicate with IRC staff and volunteers as needed.
- Write and submit case notes for each tutee worked with, for each session of tutoring, by 24-hour deadline. Follow all program guidance for how to write complete case notes.
- Complete assigned surveys and data tracking tasks, as assigned.
- Complete and submit a weekly timesheet on Salesforce platform to track and codify IRC volunteer hours.
- Additional related duties as assigned.
- Clear IRC background check by deadline in order to work with minors and/or vulnerable populations.
- Complete and submit all IRC Youth tutor training modules by deadline.
- Participate in IRC Youth Tutor online synchronous training.
- Demonstrate reliability and flexibility.
- Demonstrate interest in learning about IRC history, philosophy, global work, and local efforts.
- Demonstrate respect for clients and staff from all racial, ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious etc. background. Demonstrate a desire to continuously grow own cultural competency.
- Demonstrate respect for clients and staff of all identities.
- Experience & commitment to education, and in particular education for youth who have experienced forced migration.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English; additional fluency in an IRC high-frequency or high-need language strongly preferred:
- Spanish, Dari/Farsi, Pashto, French, Garifuna, K’iche, Tigrinya, Amharic, Wolof, Bambara/Mandingo/Malinke, Urdu/Hindi, Arabic
- Communicate any absences to IRC Youth Education Coordinator in writing at least 48 hours in advance.
How to Apply:
- Sign-up for 1-4 days (Wednesday – Saturday only) to tutor on a consistent weekly basis throughout the spring 2022 term via this sign-up spreadsheet, tab titled “Spring 2022 Tutor Schedule”. Write your name and your non-English languages into your selected cell(s). Only write your name into cell(s) which align to the day(s)/time on which you will be consistently available on a weekly basis throughout the entirety of the fall term.
- Email a brief statement of interest and your resume to IRC NYC Youth Education Coordinator at Rosalie.Arndt@rescue.org
- Email subject line “Applying to Become an IRC Youth Tutor”
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.