IRIS (Integrated Refugee & Immigrant Services, Inc., www.irisct.org) is a dynamic refugee resettlement agency in New Haven CT. IRIS serves people from all over the world who have fled persecution in their home countries to start new lives and become self-sufficient, contributing members of their new communities. While IRIS has traditionally focused on helping refugees, it is increasingly serving a more diverse immigrant population.
The Human Resources & Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Manager is a full-time staff position within the Operations and Finance Department. The position reports to the Director for Operations; the position will participate in management team meetings and will also have a direct line to the Executive Director. The position is focused on evaluating, implementing and coordinating all Human Resources activities, programs and processes for IRIS and will play a major role in refining HR and DEI policies, furthering our commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI), staff training and safety. The ideal candidate will have a breadth and depth of knowledge in human resources, equity and inclusion. This position requires a strong multi-tasker with the proven ability to implement best practices and policies.
The candidate will be highly organized, with meticulous attention to detail. The candidate is a thoughtful team player who values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance, and actively works to foster an equitable and inclusive experience for everyone in their work.
· Refine, implement and administer all HR programs
- Recruiting: manage all recruiting processes and train managers in proper recruiting, interview, feedback and decision-making processes
- Foster compliance with existing employment laws, benefit plans, employee handbook, etc.
- Staff meetings and staff outings and events: organize training and events to boost employees’ communication abilities and team spirit
· Performance evaluations: coordinate and manage all processes and train managers on delivering direct and appropriate feedback and evaluations. Refine and administer the performance review program to ensure consistent and timely execution and equity within the organization
- Employee relations: conduct or engage counsel to conduct employee investigations in response to complaints of harassment, discrimination and conflict within the workplace
- Employee engagement: help develop and implement programming that creates a culture of belonging; champion a positive culture, including feedback and training for those who need to develop their skills and/or awareness of the impact they are having on others
- Administer policies and procedures that promote diversity, equity and inclusion
· Implement and maintain a human resources system that meets top management information needs
· Refine HR procedures, processes, and programs that support IRIS’s work, culture, vision and, environment, including IRIS’s internal diversity, equity and inclusion work
· Maintain consistent actions across IRIS by initiating, coordinating and training programs for managers on human resource practices, termination and promotion decisions, safety, discrimination and sexual harassment
· collaborate with leadership on employee compensation and benefits
· Serve as the subject matter expert in areas of employee relations, legal compliance, the development of policies, procedures and standards for implementation organization-wide in partnership with leadership
· Consult legal counsel to ensure that policies comply with federal, state and local law.
· Review and analyze organizational data to identify trends and recommend solutions to improve performance, retention and employee experience
· Serve as an advocate and partner for all staff to retain, develop and motivate people to achieve their fullest potential
· Serve as ombudsperson between staff and management
· Provide leadership to internal staff satisfaction and diversity, equity and inclusion working group
SPECIFIC OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES include
- Oversee the analysis, maintenance, communication of records required by law or local governing bodies.
- Measure and forecast hiring, turnover and diversity metrics
· Train managers on how to select, manage, evaluate and retain diverse employees
· Review all communication on IRIS’s website, social media pages, job descriptions and internal documents to ensure we use non-discriminatory language
- Plan and lead onboarding and new employee orientation.
- Prepare Board items related to employment.
- Represent IRIS at various career events (like job fairs)
- Support for financial and budget requirements
While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- A combination of a bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field; 5+ years leading the HR Function; or 3 years plus SHRM or PHR Certification(s)
- Experience working in a non-profit organization
- Forward thinking, innovative and progressive in HR practices
- Working knowledge Federal and State of CT Employment Laws and Federal statute regulations
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually with an open-minded approach to HR Solutions
- Commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regard to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Openness to a multi-faceted range of viewpoints; ability to engage with tough questions in a thoughtful, respectful and confidential manner.
- Ability to engender trust and respect.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- Adaptable team player with the ability to engage various constituencies in a complex environment
- Flexibility, patience and willingness to work hard and learn from others.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of IRIS, including a demonstrated commitment to: valuing work life balance and internal culture, equity and diversity.
To apply, send an email to Director of Operations, at email@example.com as soon as possible with the following:
• A subject line that says “HR – DEI Manager”
• A cover letter
• An attached resume
Contact information for 2 references
Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received and until the position is filled.