IRIS (Integrated Refugee & Immigrant Services, www.irisct.org) is a dynamic refugee resettlement agency in New Haven CT. IRIS serves people from all over the world who have fled persecution in their home countries to start new lives and become self-sufficient, contributing members of their new communities. While IRIS has traditionally focused on helping refugees, it is increasingly serving a more diverse immigrant population.
IRIS is looking for a part-time Supportive Therapy Clinician who will provide one on one therapy using a culturally sensitive, holistic approach to refugees and immigrants experiencing mild to moderate mental health symptoms. This part-time position averages between 8 and 10 hours a week.
IRIS has a need for in-house mental health expertise. Working within the Health & Wellness department and in collaboration with several other IRIS staff members, the Clinician will play a key role in ensuring that clients access the mental health care they need. The Clinician accepts referrals from IRIS staff and local medical professionals. The Clinician offers one on one counseling, with interpretation if needed, and refers clients to other mental health care providers as appropriate. The Clinician also plays a key role supporting IRIS staff as they deal with particularly complicated client situations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
· Receive therapy referrals from IRIS staff
· Coordinate with medical professionals to receive referrals or confirm needs of clients referred by IRIS staff
· Maintain list of eligible clients with some degree of priority (waiting list), as needed
· Prepare for counseling sessions including logistics with clients and interpreter
· Meet with clients individually in order to develop an action plan and maximize adaptive coping skills
· Maintain case notes of sessions separate from main database
· Maintain coordination of care with IRIS staff and medical professions
· Serve as resource to IRIS staff and partners such as co-sponsors as needed
· Meet with clients to conduct urgent assessments and recommend follow up action (In situations where it is not possible otherwise, these assessments may be conducted at clients’ home)
· Other tasks as requested by Health & Wellness Manager and Director of Case Management
Candidates must have:
· Active license in one of the following: Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapist, Psychologist, Professional Counselor, Psychological Associate, Advanced Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatrist
· Master’s degree in mental health, counseling, therapy, psychology, or social work
· Experience in one-on-one direct counseling
· Experience and/or ability and willingness to use in-person and phone interpreters during sessions
· Understanding of basic therapeutic models such as: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Humanistic Therapy, Integrative/Holistic Therapy, Mindfulness
· Strict adherence to the ethical standards of the profession – Code of Ethics compliant
· Strong understanding of culturally sensitive therapy, commitment to anti-racism and the mission of IRIS
· Strong understanding of the refugee resettlement process
· Ability to work collaboratively with multiple people and programs within IRIS
To apply, send an email to Director of Case Management, at email@example.com as soon as possible with the following:
• A subject line that says “Supportive Therapy Clinician”
• A cover letter
• An attached resume
Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received and until the position is filled.