Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #52 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT’s Richmond Structures Team is seeking a Bridge Design Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing bridge and transportation structure projects of varying complexity in accordance with AASHTO and VDOT specifications; preparing and checking plans prepared by others for conformance with specifications and standards; designing and detailing structural components; preparing construction cost estimates and specifications; and reviewing shop drawings. In addition, the successful candidate will perform existing condition assessments and inspections of bridge and transportation structures in support of developing reports and repair and rehabilitation recommendations.
- Ability to analyze statically determinate and indeterminate structures and bridges
- Knowledge of structural design principles for steel, reinforced concrete, and prestressed concrete for both superstructure and substructure components
- Familiarity with practices and procedures for structural detailing
- Experience with construction cost estimating
- Ability to work on multiple projects in a dynamic, fast-paced team-oriented environment
- Experience in using structural analysis and design software, MicroStation drafting software, and proficiency in Microsoft Office software including WORD and EXCEL
- Ability to write, speak, and communicate clearly
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering required, Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in structures preferred
- Virginia EIT required, Virginia PE license preferred
- 0-5 years of experience in the design of highway bridges and structures
- Experience in performing in-service bridge safety inspections preferred
Work is performed within a general office environment 75% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required approximately 25% of the time where work will be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 50 lbs) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking
- Creativity and Innovation
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.