Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #51 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
Position summary: Responsible for engineering design using knowledge of general engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, execute and coordinate assignments. Sponsorship is not available for this position. As a condition of employment, hire will be required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Proof of vaccination will need to be submitted as part of the interview/hiring process.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Perform design computations specifically related to structure design tasks. Tasks could include steel and concrete beam design, wall design and layout, sound barrier and foundation designs, as well as checking design calculations, performing quantity takeoff and reviewing shop drawings.
- Analyze roadway plans, inspection reports, structure plans, aerial photography and other topographical or geologic data to perform design tasks
- Design projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using design software and CADD.
- Develop plans, calculations, and details for construction documents
- Develop construction cost estimates
- Assist in the preparation of engineering documents for advertisement and construction
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality
Nonessential functions and responsibilities:
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Assist with bridge inspection and preparation of reports, if needed
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related field from ABET accredited engineering program
- Proficient in discipline specific design software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Written and oral communication skills
- Engineer-in-training certification
- Related experience and familiarity with AASHTO or AISC codes.
- Experience working with local clients at the county and state level
Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 25lbs) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Building Relationship and Teamwork
- Creativity and Innovation
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.