Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #52 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT is seeking a Design Engineer to join the Traffic department in the Newark, Delaware office. The Newark office is in a convenient location and easy to access from not just within Delaware but also from the neighboring states of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New Jersey. The Traffic Design Engineer will be responsible for traffic engineering design using knowledge of general engineering principals and practices to interpret, organize, execute, and coordinate assignments. The Traffic Design Engineer will also be responsible for traffic studies and analysis. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform engineering tasks in the traffic engineering field through applications of relevant design criteria, standards, and processes
- Prepare traffic signals, signing, pavement marking, lighting, and ITS plans
- Perform various traffic engineering studies such as determining the need for traffic signals
- Prepare maintenance of traffic (MOT), detour plans, and transportation management plans (TMP) for design projects
- Perform traffic analyses, and improve signal timing using software such as HCS, Synchro, & VISSIM
- Analyze high accident locations, and perform safety analysis based on the Highway Safety Manual
- Perform field reviews of traffic operations
- Prepare reports
- Develop construction cost estimates and specifications
- Assist in the preparation of engineering documents for advertisement and construction
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil Engineering or related course work in Traffic or Transportation Engineering
- EIT certificate or ability to obtain within 1 year of hire
- 1 – 3 years of related experience outside of coursework
- Basic experience in CAD (i.e. Microstation or AutoCAD)
Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem solving
- Creativity and Innovation
- Team oriented approach
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.