Senior Program Manager, Advancement Unit
Location: Flexible, Remote
Apply by: Thursday, July 29, 2021
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works.
About the position:
The Senior Program Manager will be a member of JFF’s Advancement Unit, a dynamic team working to fundamentally change existing systems and re-imagine new ways for people to access the knowledge, skills, and educational credentials critical to launch, re-enter, or advance in careers and realize their best possible futures. Examples of the types of work our team engages in can found through exploring the impact stories for Pathways to Prosperity, Place-based Initiatives, and Opportunity Works.
The Senior Program Manager will work in collaboration with JFF staff and external partners on projects that support state, regional, and local leaders— representing fields such as K-12 and postsecondary education, workforce development, state and local government, business and industry, and community-based organizations—to design, strengthen, and scale solutions that create equitable conditions and clear paths to economic advancement for all. The Senior Program Manager reports directly to a senior leader on the team and will have a wide range of opportunities to support our efforts to:
- Improve the transitions between, and the alignment and integration of, high school, postsecondary education and training, and work;
- Ensure that education and workforce development systems and programs are easily navigable and have multiple on- and off-ramps that provide easy access to education and training over time; and
- Break down structural and policy barriers that impede access to high-quality career- focused learning that leads to experiences and credentials with value in the labor
What you’ll do:
- Provide technical assistance to partners in shaping policies and programs essential for college and career pathways design and implementation
- Design and implement processes and strategies for building pathways systems that are responsive to the needs of partners in the field
- Guide cross-sector partners in analyzing state and regional technical assistance and pathways implementation needs and propose strategies and solutions
- Manage relationships with partners in the field and represent JFF at external events, including national conferences
- Plan and facilitate meetings of diverse stakeholders, including state and regional strategic planning meetings, peer-learning meetings, technical assistance workshops, and site visits
- Conduct research to identify and analyze effective practices, program models, and policies to support the development and implementation of college and career pathways
- Create analytical and practice-oriented written products, including reports, tools, memos, and case studies
- Contribute to funding proposals and interact with funders
- Supervise, manage, and coach consultants and/or interns and manage contracts
- Contribute actively to programs and initiatives for the Advancement Unit and JFF overall
Who you are:
- You have about 5 years of experience working with secondary or postsecondary educational institutions or agencies, workforce or economic development, corrections or juvenile justice, community-based organizations, or other relevant fields, ideally with experience or interest in relevant policy work
- You are a strategic and systems thinker who is adept at making connections across multiple projects and stakeholder groups
- You demonstrate leadership in an ambiguous, complex environment, developing recommendations where there are no existing answers
- You have content expertise in one or more directly related fields, such as postsecondary education, workforce development, or economic development
- You are skilled at motivating and influencing diverse stakeholders, including senior-level leaders
- You have experience leading and managing projects, balancing multiple priorities, and meeting deadlines in a collaborative and fast-paced environment
- You possess excellent research and writing skills, including experience generating reports, proposals, tools, and resources
- You know how to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing, to internal and external audiences
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- You are able and willing to travel up to 30% (The frequency will vary according to mix of projects. Note: JFF staff are not currently traveling due to COVID-19 restrictions and to prioritize the health and safety of our staff.)
- You possess high energy and passion for JFF’s mission and the ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work
- You model inclusive leadership, working effectively with diverse staff, and building and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion
- You build positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives, and data to inform your work
- You demonstrate a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve in your work and approach
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
As part of your application, please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Jerre Maynor, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
We are accepting applications through Thursday, July 29, 2021. Applications submitted by that date will be reviewed and candidates will receive updates on their candidacy by the week of August 2nd.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.