Karp Strategies is an urban planning strategy consulting firm that builds stronger communities and thriving cities. We partner with our cross-sector clients to identify their unique needs and provide tailored solutions. We take analysis to action to allow our clients to make better decisions – and ultimately, to build stronger communities, economies, and cities. We deeply value our holistic analytic methods, and maintain strong core values around equity, access, and community engagement when working on planning and development projects. We work on projects around the country, with projects currently underway or starting across the NYC region, and New England. Our team works at the sweet spot where data, people, and place intersect: we strive to understand what drives change in places, and how people, businesses, and institutions exist and can thrive within that change. We value and celebrate diversity and inclusion in our team, and we share a commitment to social, racial, and economic justice.
Karp Strategies celebrated six years in June 2021, and we’ve grown tremendously since inception from a one person to a team of 15. Due to COVID-19, we are working remotely with the hopes of returning to our offices in Manhattan’s Financial District by the end of 2021. This position is anticipated to be remote in the NYC area, with access to tools to ensure great remote work, and could change to in-office in 2021 if safety and health circumstances change. There may be a need for in-person visits or on-the-ground outreach/engagement to facilitate project work in NYC, which will follow safety and social distancing protocols.
With current projects ranging from economic and community development planning initiatives to stakeholder analysis and engagement, from infrastructure feasibility and resiliency studies to real estate advisory, Karp Strategies is working with many of the industry’s most dynamic partner firms and clients on pressing, timely challenges facing the country, region, and our city. Karp Strategies is active in the field: our team members are involved with APA-NY’s Urban Design and Diversity Committees, WRISE, ABNY, IEDC, NYBC, CoreNet, OHNY, RPA, Coro, ULI….let’s just say we are plugged into the action and keep our finger on the pulse.
As our company kicks off additional projects, we seek to meet thinkers and doers interested in joining us who care as much about urban change and neighborhoods as we do. Karp Strategies is actively interviewing for a PT Graduate Analyst (Graduate Student Intern) with a passion and talent for community/stakeholder engagement and outreach, and strong graphic design skills. Graduate Analysts support projects through research and writing, data analysis and visualization, engagement/facilitation support, and through supporting business development and marketing initiatives.
Necessary Skills for Success (Project Dependent)
Analysts are responsible for the following types of tasks and assignments:
● Support stakeholder outreach and engagement initiatives, including conduct research, collaborate for outreach and engagement strategies, and execution. Work with team members to execute outreach and engagement projects. Work with stakeholders, ranging from community groups to businesses to elected officials to agencies and more.
● Design infographics, data visualizations, and graphic representations of policy, process, and analytical findings to support client projects, business development efforts, and other initiatives with Adobe Suite programs.
● Support qualitative analysis, stakeholder engagement, and research, including focus groups, interviews, briefings, desktop research, and meetings, to triangulate data or as a stand alone project. Design training guides for facilitators. Manage related logistics and support, including preparation of engagement and analysis materials.
● Project manage the heck out of whatever you are working on, utilizing schedules, project plans, shared file systems, and communication apps. Graduate Analysts often play an assistant project manager role on larger projects.
● Work in a start-up environment with a close-knit team and our project partners on misc. tasks, big or small, as they arise.
● Support business development efforts, including proposal research/writing, research on partner firms, site visits, as needed.
● Strong writing and/or design experience is a must given the range of projects and client types.
● Experience working with traditionally underserved populations is preferred.
● Multilingual written and oral skills are highly regarded as part of our work with diverse communities across the country. For this position, fluency in Spanish would be highly regarded.
● A deep curiosity about planning issues and an interest in incorporating an equity lens to our work is strongly encouraged.
What We Seek
To excel in this position, interested candidates should demonstrate 1-3 years of work experience in the above areas and/or equivalent training in school, with an emphasis on stakeholder outreach and engagement, graphic design, research, and writing, and background either with government, non-profit, community planning organizations, private sector, consulting, or a related field. Fluency in Adobe Suite, namely, InDesign is required and
Illustrator is preferred. Fluency in Spanish is highly regarded. Enrollment in graduate school is required. Successful candidates in this role are likely individuals who love fast paced work with people who love what they do, and who love working together – we are some of the most engaged, passionate people around. We expect you to remotely work with us 20-25 hours/week during the school semester, and continuing through the summer.
Likely Content Areas (Project Dependent):
● Transformative public spaces and open space design
● Offshore wind
● Economic and community revitalization
● Real estate analysis and advisory
● Zoning analysis
● Affordable housing
● Port/waterfront industry
● Catalytic transportation redevelopment
● Workforce development
● Small businesses/industrial/manufacturing districts and access
● Stakeholder engagement
● Areas you are interested in!
If these piques your interest, we’d love to hear from you. Interviews will be conducted immediately on a rolling basis. Karp Strategies will contact you if you are being considered for a position. As PDF attachments, please send a professional resume, letter of interest, and work samples (writing AND graphic design) to email@example.com. Only complete application packages will be considered. If you possess language skills beyond English, please share a demonstration of your capabilities. While doing all these tasks/project types previously is not a hiring requirement, having some experience is advantageous and expected. Fluency in the Adobe Suite, particularly InDesign and Illustrator, and an interest in stakeholder engagement is required.
We encourage all who are interested to apply.
This job description is for an at-will position which is non-exempt under the FLSA. Karp Strategies provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment regardless of their age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, partnership status, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence status, sex offense of stalking victim status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws.