Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is a global leader in the protection of unaccompanied refugee and migrant children. Launched in 2008, KIND champions a world in which every child’s rights and well-being are protected throughout their journey to safety. Since 2008, KIND has accepted over 23,000 referrals of children seeking legal representation in their immigration proceedings. KIND has welcomed more than 41,000 attendees to trainings since its founding, cultivating partnerships with over 670 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations across the country.
KIND’s social services program ensures that migrant and refugee children – who have often endured trauma – receive counseling, educational support, medical care and other comprehensive services.
To address the root causes of child migration from Central America and strengthen protection of unaccompanied children, KIND advocates for policy changes and educates lawmakers, the media, and the broader public on the conditions that drive these children to flee their home countries. KIND supports children returning to their home countries by connecting them to essential support services and sponsors gender-based violence prevention programs in Central America to protect children in countries of origin and transit.
KIND is also building upon its expertise in the protection of unaccompanied children to encourage the development of pro bono initiatives across Europe in partnership with European NGOs.
KIND seeks a Communications Advisor Volunteer – Client Stories and Voices to assist us with our Voices That Matter Most program, in interviewing KIND clients, and helping to conceptualize, write, and engage in digital content for our communications platforms and materials. Expected to commit to 5-10 hours per week for a duration of up to 2 months.
Volunteers must pass a criminal background check and sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Assisting team in preparing materials in support of Voices That Most program (recording videos in English and Spanish to assist with client outreach) and participating as appropriate in workshops and helping conceptualize future Voices work.
- Helping to conceptualize, write, and engage in digital content including videos for our social media platforms, donor outreach, communications collateral.
- Assisting with and participating in KIND’s StoryCorps recordings, including interviewing other KIND clients
- Helping with other story-based communications work as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Currently enrolled in university.
- Fluency in Spanish and English strongly preferred.
- Deep knowledge on issues pertaining to unaccompanied children.
- Strong writing skills and attention to detail; cultural responsiveness and cross-cultural communication skills
- Interest in working with youth.
- Knowledgeable on social media platforms strongly preferred.
- Ability to work virtually and have regular interaction via telephone, videoconference, chat, and email with KIND’s team.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to be considered.
KIND has an organization-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create a work environment where everyone has a sense of belonging. Individuals from historically underrepresented or underserved communities are strongly encouraged to apply.