We invite you to be part of our team of trailblazers dedicated to helping people discover and enjoy the outside. Come join us. Because on the inside we’re all outsiders. And if it’s outside, we’re all in.
L.L. Bean is currently searching for an Associate Copywriter to join our award-winning Creative Team.
We’re looking for someone with enthusiasm, a creative mindset, and a desire to learn new skills and approaches. Strong communication and some self-direction are critical, but we’re a supportive and team-driven group of writers – if you’re interested in learning, and driven to find just the right message, you’ll be in great company.
Our most successful copywriters love storytelling, have a passion for products, and an appetite for connecting customers to L.L.Bean through the written word.
Successful candidates will come to the role with a variety of writing experience and an ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects at once. The right candidate will develop an understanding of features and benefits for assigned products, learn to write through the lens of the L.L.Bean brand purpose, stakeholder values, and consumer mindset, and draw upon creative ability and collaborative skills in crafting a message that is strategically aligned, relevant, on-brand and compelling to the L.L.Bean customer.
Understand the environment in which you will be writing
Stay Curious: Maintain awareness of the competition in the catalog, e-commerce, and outdoor-sporting landscape by reviewing competitors’ catalogs, emails, promotions and websites, and reading pertinent books and periodicals.
- Learn about the fundamentals of direct response/multichannel marketing.
Stay Informed: Regularly analyze research conducted by L.L.Bean as it relates to customer demographics, psychographics, current mindset, buying trends, and buying behaviors.
- Become familiar with L.L.Bean’s purpose, voice, and brand standards.
- Know how our products are made, what makes them unique, and what quality will best resonate with our customer in creating copy that will drive conversion.
Stay Involved: Develop communication and collaboration skills in working with your partners within and outside of the Creative department.
- Work closely with counterparts in copy, art/design, marketing, and merchandising to determine the best way to position products and other copy elements in catalogs, emails, and online.
- Understand the intent behind projects and question content when appropriate.
Creation of Copy
- Work with copywriters and/or senior copywriters in formulating concepts and positioning for each piece of content to be written, and to ensure L.L.Bean copy standards are met.
- Work with design and UX partners to ensure alignment and technical aspects are met.
- Route copy through various approval channels, interpreting comments and making changes where necessary in a timely manner, meeting all deadlines.
- Contribute high-level thinking to brainstorms for seasonal themes, catalogs, advertising, etc.
- Provide support and write copy for additional special projects as assigned.
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
Enhance Professional Development
- Attend seminars, workshops, and product testing field trips to develop depth of product knowledge, customer knowledge, marketing fundamentals, and professional growth.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Education Level: 4-year bachelor’s degree
- Degree in English, Advertising, Creative Writing or Journalism preferred
- Solid communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to brainstorm in a group or suggest new ideas individually
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize diverse (often hectic) workload
- Experienced with computer software such as Microsoft Word
If you care about the outdoors, joining L.L.Bean is a great way to feel good about what you do. Our benefits package makes a good thing even better, with programs and perks designed to support your health and financial goals. Plus, maintaining a healthy work-life balance and re-charging outside are all part of the plan. Because, when it comes to the outside—we’re all in. Visit llbeancareers.com to learn more.
Being outside brings out the best in us, no matter where we come from or what we believe. At L.L.Bean, we value individual differences and encourage our co-workers to be themselves – because the uniqueness of each individual makes L.L.Bean better.