Research, Innovation, Data Science Intern
$500.00 Paid to Intern for successful completion of the assignment
Learning Ally is a leading nonprofit education solutions organization that transforms the lives of struggling learners by delivering proven literacy solutions that help students reach their potential. Its mission is to radically change education, transforming the lives of children by providing reading interventions and solutions to help them succeed academically, build self-confidence, and thrive in school and beyond.
65% of fourth graders read below proficiency and are 400% more likely to drop-out of high school. And, for “most at risk” students (students of color, low income, English Language Learners and students with learning disabilities) the problem is even more acute.
Learning Ally seeks to break this cycle. With early student assessment, intervention and accommodation and professional development for educators, Learning Ally can identify and prevent learning issues by working with schools and educators to support new and struggling readers. Its solutions build a strong foundation for independent, engaged learners who are empowered to achieve socially, emotionally, and academically, regardless of background or learning difference.
Founded in 1948 as Recording for the Blind, to help soldiers who lost their sight in combat continue their education with audiobook products, Learning Ally has evolved to help individuals understand the unique ways they learn and match them to the solutions that enable personal achievement.
Today, Learning Ally reaches over 1,000,000 students, 100,000 educators and 18,500 schools across the country and continues to expand its reach. With a continued commitment to supporting students who learn differently, Learning Ally has joined researchers and neuroscientists from renowned institutions including UCSF and MIT, to better understand and address learning issues.
We continue our mission today by providing Solutions for K-12 District leaders and which enable their educators to exponentially improve their instruction. In our most recent study of 1.5k students in Grades 3-8, students whose educators integrated our Solutions into their instruction were able to double the rate of reading level growth versus what they’d achieve without us. For these students, the effect is life altering – the Learning Ally Audiobook Solution will be the first time they successfully engage in reading, grasp text critical to their learning, and take the first step towards reversing years of academic failure and self-doubt, towards seeing themselves as readers and their potential to achieve. As the students we serve typically struggle to learn due to reading challenges, engagement with Learning Ally Solutions can make the difference between academic success or ongoing failure.
The Learning Ally model is based on the belief that when educators are better able to understand how their students learn, they are better able to personalize their instruction and engage their students in learning. To achieve our model, we bring together experts in the research, K-12 practitioner, and philanthropic capital communities to align on our most urgent educational problems, discover what works to solve them, and ensure effect by bridging the gap between research and classroom practice.
Our Solutions are powered by the Learning Ally Platform which brings together educators, students, and schools towards using our Solutions successfully. Each day, hundreds of thousands of individuals use our Solutions and leave behind important information on their needs, behaviors, and beliefs. As a result, our ability to make meaning of this information often does not keep up with the data being generated. In addition, successfully interpreting this data will often require additional research on topics around local socio-economic factors, legislation and policies, and visualizations that communicate findings across our business.
This year we are able to make time to mentor a series of highly motivated individuals who are energized by the Problem Statement above and able to invest 10 weeks of their time and a minimum of 20 hours each week towards its solution.
The ideal individual is comfortable with:
- Conduct interviews with leaders in our Research, Innovation, and Data Sciences department to Identify an urgent business problem that needs to be solved
- Structure a hypothesis that answers the business problem identified above
- Execute their own proof of the hypothesis and which will require them to leverage skills including primary research, data extraction and manipulation, and logic
- Run an ongoing series of weekly discussions on their progress over the 10 week internship period in order to evaluate progress on the proof and adjust assumptions accordingl
- Present their findings in ways that are accessible and understandable, while explaining complex scenarios and ideas.
- Being paired with similar individuals who may have different, but complimentary skills and working together to successfully achieve results.
Individuals interested in this opportunity should be a College Senior or Higher and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Facility and training with statistical analysis and tools to analyze quantitative data including MS Excel and Python at a minimum
- Facility and training around skills related to primary research or academic coursework around Sociology
- Academic coursework around neuroscience, learning science, or similar
- Evidence of strong written skills
- Demonstrated experience in running projects of significance to completion
- Willingness / Ability to invest 10 weeks, 20 hours per week, as part of program completion
Individuals selected for this internship program will get access to:
- Mentorship from senior business leaders and with a wide array of backgrounds including Fortune 500 Financial Services, Pharmaceuticals, Content & Media, and Education Technology
- Ongoing relationships to leverage in future academic and professional endeavors
- Remuneration in the form of a stipend for time