Social Media & Communications Volunteer Virtual Community – Intern
$500.00 Paid to Intern upon successful completion of the assignment
Learning Ally is a leading nonprofit education solutions organization that transforms the lives of struggling learners by delivering proven literacy solutions that help students reach their potential. Its mission is to radically change education, transforming the lives of children by providing reading interventions and solutions to help them succeed academically, build self-confidence, and thrive in school and beyond.
65% of fourth graders read below proficiency and are 400% more likely to drop-out of high school. And, for “most at risk” students (students of color, low income, English Language Learners and students with learning disabilities) the problem is even more acute.
Learning Ally seeks to break this cycle. With early student assessment, intervention and accommodation and professional development for educators, Learning Ally can identify and prevent learning issues by working with schools and educators to support new and struggling readers. Its solutions build a strong foundation for independent, engaged learners who are empowered to achieve socially, emotionally, and academically, regardless of background or learning difference.
Founded in 1948 as Recording for the Blind, to help soldiers who lost their sight in combat continue their education with audiobook products, Learning Ally has evolved to help individuals understand the unique ways they learn and match them to the solutions that enable personal achievement.
Like many nonprofits, we rely on volunteers to bring our mission to life. We draw on a network of over 1,000 volunteer narrators (including professional voice talent), listeners, quality control, and subject-matter experts to create human-read audiobooks that express the emotions and nuances of written text. Human-read texts promote deeper comprehension and engagement, especially among younger readers. Our copyright-exempt digital library includes over 82,000 curriculum-aligned textbooks, classic literature, popular fiction, and more.
Volunteer Nation continues to grow, expanding volunteer roles and opportunities beyond audiobooks. Volunteers are now sharing their skills and experience in education, customer service, technology, social media, and other areas to help Learning Ally reach more of the 30 million students who struggle to read.
Volunteer Nation is the name of learning Ally’s Virtual Volunteer community.
The need for Learning Ally to spread awareness to gain and retain more volunteers is crucial, but creating a virtual community of volunteers is the main goal of the year.
Our Volunteer Nation Intern will engage in:
● Working in conjunction with Learning Ally Volunteer Nation team to develop and execute a strategy to support, inform and engage the community of Virtual Volunteers through Social Media
● Develop a strategy with calendar of activities on “Volunteer Recognition” that includes highlighting accomplishments, creating materials for recognition; create little video samples for volunteers to share with families, friends, or professional networks about their engagement with LA., etc.
● Connect with other areas of Learning Ally to strategically connect Volunteer Nation with relevant content generated by those areas and find common ground that benefits other communities within Learning Ally (schools, parents, educators)
● Align with Marketing to protect Learning Ally positioning and branding throughout all communications to volunteers on social media
The intern will have unique access to a very modern concept of virtual community engagement and will have room for proposing and testing ideas that will help us strengthen the community while at the same time growing it.
● Develop planning, organizational, and time management skills.
● Increase knowledge of computer skills and technology.
● Develop interpersonal skills in order to communicate with employees.
● Develop interpersonal skills in order to communicate with day-to-day business contacts
Develop interpersonal skills in order to communicate with external clients.
- Connect the social media strategy with the new volunteer portal to make sure we increase traffic to the portal and volunteers develop a sense of community by interacting more with the resources of portal
- Coordinate with Instructional and Literature communities to deliver Social Media content that is relevant for their respective volunteers
- Help coordinate the content creation for the Volunteer Nation Portal Blog aligned with Social Media
- Establish a calendar aligned with program goals to deliver social media content
- Support with volunteer recruitment, recognition and retention
Open – Marketing, Communications, Nonprofit, Public Policy recommended
Highly developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team-based environment.
Good MS Office skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
Social Media posting experience
Experience editing pictures and video for social media posting