The Guest Ambassador at Liberty Science Center is the first point of contact with our guests and plays a vital role in providing a quality experience from the moment visitors walk through our doors to the moment they exit. The Guest Ambassador is the heartbeat of the frontline team and is essential to foster an environment that is safe, engaging, enjoyable, and conducive to learning. The Guest Ambassador’s primary areas of focus are to (1) Engage with guests in a friendly, informed, professional service-oriented demeanor (2) Demonstrate leadership by personally providing excellent customer service at all times (3) Provide stellar guest service in galleries and experiences throughout the building to engage guests, answer questions, resolve issues, control crowds, and lines, and oversee the condition, presentation, and safety of all public spaces.
Guest Ambassadors report to the Guest Engagement management team and are active members of the Guest Operations and Group Services team.
What You’ll Bring
Charismatic, energetic, and friendly, your customer-service focus and positivity drive our goal to continuously improve the LSC experience. While you may not be a scientist or technologist, you are interested in the worlds of science and technology and excited by the prospect of working in a Science Center. Along with your customer service expertise, you:
- Personally provide excellent, gold standard customer service at all times
- Enjoy speaking in public and getting to know our visitors. You are excited to work with a diverse population of guests and will present an eager, friendly, service-oriented demeanor
- Take initiative and are quick to solve problems and offer creative solutions
- Work well within a team-based setting. You are comfortable coaching peers and treating guests, coworkers, etc. with respect and professionalism
- Possess strong judgment. You make decisions that keep the guest experience in mind and know when it is appropriate to refer to a supervisor
- Uphold a consistently high level of enthusiasm and energy whether it is a busy or slow day
- Thrive in an ever-changing, high-energy environment and demonstrate flexibility by following direction and adjusting to changing policies and procedures
- Love to have a good time! You are ready to play and interact with guests of all ages (heavy focus on children 3-13)
We are building a culture that is inclusive, positive, and professional and can’t wait for you to be part of our team!
What You’ll Do
- Personally provide excellent, gold standard customer service at all times
- Contribute to a positive team-based workplace culture that embraces and advances team goals through peer coaching and modeling
- Demonstrate leading performance that sets the standard for others, including stellar attendance and reliability, exceptional guest engagement, and carrying oneself with the utmost professionalism
- Serve as an advocate for guests while simultaneously promoting the interests of LSC, by communicating with a variety of diverse guests to ensure a positive museum experience and resolving visitors’ concerns and complaints to their satisfaction and LSC’s
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of all Liberty Science Center offerings including exhibitions, theater programs, events, programs, etc
- Manage crowds and queues calmly and efficiently
- Assist in training of new hires to the highest of service standards
- Leader in safety and cleanliness. Assists in cleaning duties as assigned
- Provide assistance with special events and programming as needed
- Accomplish other tasks, duties, and responsibilities as requested and assigned
- Greet and welcome guests as they enter the Science Center as well as throughout the building and assist guests with orientation and directions
- Present science topics in a comprehensive and accessible manner to learners of all ages, adjusting facilitation as necessary to respond to individual needs
- Cultivate a positive and enriching experience for LSC guests by playing with and engaging guests within exhibits, answering questions, and presenting information clearly and accurately
- Oversee and monitor the condition, presentation, and safety of all public spaces and assist in the preparation and closing of all public spaces
- Provide stellar guest service in galleries and experiences throughout the building to engage guests, answer questions, resolve issues, control crowds and lines, and oversee the condition, presentation, and safety of all public spaces
- Provide high quality, end-to-end care of LSC guests including online ticket purchasers, walk-up customers, and LSC members at all operational ticketing stations
- Ensure all guests are well informed on all currently available LSC experiences
- Maintain an accurate register throughout the day and successfully reconcile all on-site payments, check-ins, and ticket/voucher redemptions
- Accurately input data into LSC’s ticketing system (Tessitura)
- Serve as an ambassador of our institution and mission at all times
- Operate within the Box Office according to policies and procedures to provide the safest and efficient environment possible for guests and coworkers
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Applied knowledge of superior guest engagement standards
- Outstanding peer modeling, coaching, and training capabilities
- Strong teaming and collaboration skills
- Exceptional communication and de-escalation skills
- Creative and resourceful problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well as a team member or independently
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
Prior success in the delivery of quality customer service in a fast-paced environment is a huge plus!
The Guest Ambassador is a regular, part-time position that is non-exempt. This role will be eligible for overtime for work that exceeds 40 hours per week; however, all overtime must be approved in advance by the role’s supervisor.
Given that LSC is open 363 days per year and operates seven days a week, all employees must be able to work a flexible schedule, including early mornings, evenings, holidays, and weekends, as business needs require. The Guest Ambassador will work an average of 3 days per week. Shifts can range from 4 – 8 hours and generally total about 15 – 32 hours per week on average. This role must have availability from Wednesday through Sunday including evenings and occasional Mondays.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
During the virus pandemic, the ability to wear a face mask that fully covers your nose and mouth for long periods of time is required! While performing the duties of this job, the employee must also be able to stand for long periods of time while working with staff on the Science Center floor to prepare for events or fill in for frontline staff. The ability to lift 30 pounds is required. The position requires the ability to walk on concrete floors, climb stairs, bend/lift/stretch, tolerate high levels of noise, navigate crowds, and publicly speak. This role also requires the ability to work outdoors, including walking on uneven ground and being exposed to varied weather elements.
LSC’s Work Culture at a Glimpse
Liberty Science Center’s culture can best be described as a fun, creative, collaborative, and casual working environment.
Liberty Science Center is located in a beautiful waterfront state park in Jersey City, New Jersey. Not only is Jersey City easy to get to from any points in Northern NJ and Manhattan, but it also holds the title of the most diverse city in the United States. Employees have access to free parking, the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, and the NJ Path train. In addition, all employees have access to a terrace with stunning NYC views.
This position requires no travel.
Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting why you are a perfect fit for this position.
Liberty Science Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We, therefore, provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Liberty Science Center is currently open to the public Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and occasional holidays Mondays. Due to our reduced operating hours, LSC is conducting limited hiring. Interviews for this position will be conducted virtually. All candidates for this role MUST be available to work Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with no exceptions. You must also be able to work Monday holidays. All Guest Ambassadors must wear a mask for the duration of the work shift.