Job Title: Field Technician I (Field Academy) – Denver, CO
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
Lumen is seeking early-career or second-career self-starters who are self-motivated with high technical aptitude and an interest in a Network, Electronics, and Telecomm Support role. You will participate in a robust 6-week training program to jump-start and enable your success in this role. This rigorous program is designed to develop tech-savvy individuals in the areas of network operations, IP, and customer care where you will learn about our technology, networks, products, processes, and customer service best practices. Field Technician 1 is an entry level position within the North America Field Operations organization.
The Main Responsibilities
• Responsible for asset management: processes deliveries and replenishes consumables.
• Coordinates shipping and receiving of materials.
• Maintains tools, test sets, and electronic equipment including, but not limited to: fiber optic transmission equipment, lightwave multiplexing equipment, AC and DC power equipment.
• Assists in installs, provisions, tests, and maintains DS0 thru OC192 services. May install and test transmission/switching equipment.
• Troubleshoots network equipment, removes and replaces defective modules, tracks spares and ensures repair.
• Monitors/locates route and assists in executing restoration in the event of a service interruption, proactively responds to potential problem areas in order to ensure integrity of the network.
• Responsible for learning all of the systems and applications required to perform the job function adequately.
• Updates installation records, enters appropriate detailed log information on trouble tickets for reference, and provides reports to others on status updates and issues related to assignments.
• Performs preventive/scheduled maintenance and inspections on equipment and on the critical infrastructure including, but not limited to: HVAC systems, high-voltage electrical systems, DC Power Plants.
What We Look For in a Candidate
• 0-2 years network monitoring, installation, or maintenance/repair.
• Education Level: High School/GED
• Field of Study: Electronics or Telecommunications
• Attention to detail with good organizational capabilities.
• Ability to prioritize with good time management skills.
• Entry-level technician with experience and/or knowledge of at least one of the four major technician disciplines.
• Those technical disciplines are: Transmission (DS1/DS3/SONET), Switching (circuit-switching/SS7), TCP/IP (routers/higher-layer protocols), and Outside Plant (Fiber locating, OTDR, Mass Fusion Splicing, etc.).
• Have knowledge of locating fiber optic cable, right-of-way, and As-Builts.
• Must maintain site security and cleanliness.
• Must have PC skills and be well versed in Microsoft Windows and Office applications.
• Must possess the ability to quickly learn corporate databases.
• On-call 24×7 on a rotational basis, on stand-by, call out, dispatch, and overtime are required as dictated by the business.
• A valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record required.
• Field Tech Physical Requirement – Sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl; lift 75 lbs.; works in all weather conditions.