Lumen’s US Internship Program is a path for career readiness in the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Be a part of an internship program, driving human progress through technology. During a 10- week period our summer interns innovate and make an impact by transforming industries across the globe and changing the world one connection at a time. Our interns are presented with real business challenges and provide solutions that make a difference across all areas of the company, all while learning the skills needed to successfully navigate the modern workplace.
- Innovate – to deliver solutions to real business problems
- Transform – your skills and knowledge through challenging work projects
- Connect – to our company and culture creating valuable connections with your intern peers, work team and leaders across the organization.
- Impact – through Community & Social Involvement – collaborate with our ERGs to give back and make an impact in the communities Lumen serves.
The Main Responsibilities
As an Infrastructure Engineer in our Strategic Planning and Transformation organization, you will work in either our Broomfield, CO or Atlanta, GA data center on the Hybrid Cloud Operations team. This role is responsible for company-wide touch support within our data centers. The intern should have an interest in the data center environment (installation, troubleshooting servers and other equipment), with a mindset to take initiative, be resourceful and also curious, not afraid to ask question and make suggestions with new ideas.
- Installs hardware, supports break/fix, and provides support for small and large system hardware including other attached data communications devices. Maintains equipment records indicating locations, features, failures/maintenance actions, changes, and costs for such equipment. Equipment may include cross connections, servers, KVM’s, routers, switches, cabling, and telephony.
- Supports, assists, and plans with vendors cable pulls, equipment installation and/or relocations/upgrades.
- Reviews all Production Service Requests for tracking assigned incoming work.
- Creates and manages Change Management Requests for all raised floor work including validating that the records get approved.
- Work on standards and inventory controls for all hardware requirements.
- Implements all Raised Floor changes, as directed, except for Vendor Installs, Large System Midrange, and Mainframe. This includes Server, KVM’s, KVM Configurations, Routers, Switches, and Cabling.
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Enrolled at a 4-year accredited college or university, rising senior or master’s level education status at the start of the internship, graduating August 2022 – June 2023.
- Major/Degree: In pursuit of degree in Computer Science, Network Engineering, Computer Information Systems or similar technical degree.
Proficiency and understanding of;
- Knowledge of data centers or the data center environment a plus
- Experience in Data Center (installation, troubleshooting servers and other equipment)
- Interest in this work environment with a willingness to learn
- Strong drive for results and taking initiative
- Resourceful and adaptable
- Collaborative and have agility while making effective decisions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with business partners and drive the conversation.
- Flexible and adapts well to change
- The position will be in one of the following offices: Broomfield -CO or Atlanta, GA, work from home/remote is not an option for this position.
- Intern must be able to work 30-40 hours be week during the 10-week program (June 3– August 12, 2022)
- Intern must have reliable transportation to/from work location (Lumen does not provide transportation to/from Lumen office locations)
- US work authorization required
What to Expect Next
After completion and submission of your application, you will be asked to participate in a virtual video interview. This on demand interview will be a way for Lumen to learn more about you and your experience as it aligns to the internship position. A separate email invitation will be sent to you (check your spam) within 6 hours of application. For continued consideration in the summer internship program, please ensure you complete the video interview within 5 business days of application. Thank you!