Lumen’s US Internship Program is a path for career readiness in the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Be a part of an internship program, driving human progress through technology. During a 10- week period our summer interns innovate and make an impact by transforming industries across the globe and changing the world one connection at a time. Our interns are presented with real business challenges and provide solutions that make a difference across all areas of the company, all while learning the skills needed to successfully navigate the modern workplace.
- Innovate – to deliver solutions to real business problems
- Transform – your skills and knowledge through challenging work projects
- Connect – to our company and culture creating valuable connections with your intern peers, work team and leaders across the organization.
- Impact – through Community & Social Involvement – collaborate with our ERGs to give back and make an impact in the communities Lumen serves.
The Main Responsibilities
As a Software Engineer in our Strategic Planning and Transformation organization. The intern will work in the Lumen Data Marketplace, which is a microservices architecture, to ingest data from internal and external sources into the marketplace, determine data domain groupings, and create Graph APIs making the data available to our business customers. This position will also allow the intern to experience new modern technologies, growing and transforming their skills. The intern should have basic programming skills but be highly resourceful, curious, and productive in a fast-paced environment.
- Attend daily stand-up meetings
- Work on high profile, new company technologies and growth areas
- Support Lumen’s Data Lake project; bringing data in from various areas
- Work collaboratively with our Data Science team to provide Big Data, various forms both structured and unstructured
- Assist with work toward the creation of a new data marketplace, as both a product and a service to our customers
- Work in a highly collaborative and transformative environment
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Enrolled at a US 4-year accredited college or university, rising senior or master’s level education status at the start of the internship, graduating August 2022 – June 2023.
- Major/Degree: In pursuit of degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar technical degree field.
Proficiency and understanding of;
- Basic programming skills
- Understanding of ETL methodologies
- Experience with Java Stack
- Understanding and experience with writing SQL
- Cassandra noSQL database, preferred
- API – rest and/or Graph, preferred
- Confluent Kafka, preferred
- Strong drive for results and taking initiative
- Resourceful and adaptable
- Collaborative and have agility while making effective decisions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with business partners and drive the conversation.
- Flexible and adapts well to change
- Ideally the position will be in one of the following offices: Monroe, LA, Broomfield, or Littleton -CO or may consider remote/ work from home.
- Intern must be able to work 30-40 hours be week during the 10-week program (June 3– August 12, 2022)
- Intern must have reliable transportation to/from work location, if position will be in office (Lumen does not provide transportation to/from Lumen office locations)
- US work authorization required
What to Expect Next
After completion and submission of your application, you will be asked to participate in a virtual video interview. This on demand interview will be a way for Lumen to learn more about you and your experience as it aligns to the internship position. A separate email invitation will be sent to you (check your spam) within 6 hours of application. For continued consideration in the summer internship program, please ensure you complete the video interview within 5 business days of application. Thank you!