At Macmillan Learning, the health and safety of our employees and contract staff is a top priority. Accordingly, COVID-19 vaccinations will be required for all staff that will be working in a Macmillan Learning office, or have job duties requiring them to travel for work. If offered the role, the candidate will need to provide proof of vaccination in advance of their start date. Employees can request religious and/or medical exemptions to this requirement by following the process outlined in the offer letter.
Start your higher education publishing career at Macmillan. We are passionate about creating great learning tools and resources for students, and we are looking for an editorial assistant in our Humanities group who shares our passion for learning and higher education.
The editorial assistant will provide administrative and editorial support to several Humanities editors who develop print and digital content for the college classroom in the disciplines of English composition, history, communication, and college success. The assistant will help editors with project planning, market research, editorial development, manuscript preparation, and various administrative tasks while gaining exposure to the editorial function within educational publishing.
This position is located in our Boston office. Due to COVID-19, our employees are working remotely until at least October 2021.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist editors with project planning and market research, as well as sales, marketing, and market development support.
- Support editors with editorial development including timely manuscript preparation and assembly; assist in evaluating content for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Recruit and communicate with users and potential users of our products to solicit feedback and manage review programs using key systems, including Qualtrics.
- Interact and correspond with authors, freelancers, instructors, and students.
- Assist in the development of content components such as instructor’s manuals, workbooks, presentation slides, homework assignments, and digital assessments.
- Support editors with timely permissions-related work using key systems
- Maintain and update data in key editorial systems.
- Perform administrative tasks such as running reports, processing payments for honoraria and vendor invoices, handling product sample requests, and maintaining schedules and project logs.
- Help find solutions and offer support for miscellaneous needs or tasks that arise in the day-to-day work of the editors.
- Interact with key functional groups inside the company (Sales, Content Management, Marketing, Legal, etc.).
- Take on special projects and career development that will help you expand your skill set and explore potential career paths at Macmillan Learning.
- To be considered for this role, please submit a cover letter along with your resume and application.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Effective Communication – Must have excellent written and oral communication skills, with a strong command of the English language. Must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively and professionally with diverse stakeholders across departments and with customers and authors.
- Project Management – Can oversee multiple, complex projects simultaneously, prioritizing tasks appropriately and meeting deadlines. Must be able to multitask, prioritize, and maintain calm and focus under stressful situations.
- Attention to Detail – Capable of and committed to reviewing work for accuracy, consistency, and quality. Highly organized in your approach to work. Must be able to concentrate and maintain attention to detail in a busy, open office environment.
- Analytical Thinking – Able to think critically to analyze content, ask important questions, diagnose problems, and create practical solutions.
- Collaboration (Teamwork) – Enjoys interacting and working with others to produce high-quality educational products.
- Positive, flexible attitude – Highly focused and productive, with a can-do attitude and team spirit. Embraces change, with a willingness to continue to learn new technology systems and processes and new ways of working. Demonstrates initiative, curiosity, and follow-through.
- Position requires concentrated screen time for long periods.
- Experience in a deadline-driven job with deliverables
- Demonstrated interest or experience in publishing or related field
- Experience providing administrative support in an office environment
- Customer outreach or customer service experience
- Experience with tutoring or teaching
- Experience working with shared documents on Google office suite, Adobe Acrobat, and/or project tracking software such as JIRA
- Knowledge of educational technology a plus
Regular full-time and qualifying part-time employees and their dependents are eligible for Macmillan benefits, effective on the employee’s date of hire. Macmillan also offers health benefits coverage to qualifying same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners (may require additional documentation) of active employees.
- Competitive pay and bonus plan
- Generous health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- Contributions to your Registered Retirement Savings Plan
- Generous paid time off policy and paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program, Education Assistance Program
- 100% employer-paid life and AD&D insurance
- Fast-paced, intellectually challenging professional environment
- And much more!
Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world’s best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Late Nite Labs, EBI-MAPworks, i<clicker, and Hayden-McNeil.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, veteran, family and economic status and background, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. You can read more about our Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion initiatives here.
The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources at Macmillan Learning.