The Sustainability Manager will be accountable for supporting the progress in achieving Macmillan’s environmental sustainability goals of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and overall environmental impact. Reporting to the Director of Sustainability and Business Partnerships, this role will work to implement sustainability initiatives and raise employee awareness of Macmillan’s sustainability initiative. Candidates must be able to identify opportunities, prioritize, multitask, and troubleshoot effectively. In order to be successful, the individual in this position will need to work closely across numerous business divisions and maintain inter-departmental relationships with managers and staff across the organization.
- Sustainability data management & reporting, including:
- Lead the annual global greenhouse gas inventory and strengthen the internal process and system for collecting data, ensuring the accuracy of inputs and outputs, maintaining any quality assurance/quality control steps to validate information
- Serve as the ‘go-to’ internal contact for divisions/sites to answer questions regarding energy, emissions, water & waste data
- Implement environmental goals and communicate progress and/or challenges and recommend actions to remediate
- Facilitate multiple Sustainability Task Forces, fielding requests from employees, and working with appropriate channels to vet/prioritize employee requests, determine feasibility and implement approved actions
- Raising awareness about Macmillan sustainability, including:
- Managing and updating the external Sustainability website and internal Sustainability site
- Generating/disseminating unique content for the employee newsletter and social media
- Revise Paper Sourcing Policies as needed in line with best practices
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- Strong ability to analyze data (must be advanced in Excel) and use it to make decisions
- Intermediate knowledge of GHG accounting practices and protocols, including methods for calculating Scope 1-3 emissions from a variety of sources
- Proven project management skills
- Must be comfortable/knowledgeable about the science of sustainability
- Ability to work across an extended matrix of leaders in order to successfully ensure environmental sustainability is embedded across Macmillan
- Positive, professional and proactive manner while interacting with colleagues and vendors
- Excellent written, verbal, and conversational skills
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented, and deadline driven
Education & Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years sustainability and/or corporate social responsibility experience. Master’s in Environmental Management/ Sustainability preferred.
Macmillan is committed to reducing its emissions and has been “carbon neutral” globally for the last three years (scopes 1, 2, and 3) and “carbon neutral” for Macmillan USA since 2013 (scopes 1, 2, and major 3).
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin’s Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a part of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media group of companies headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.