At Macmillan Learning, the health and safety of our employees and contract staff is a top priority. Accordingly, COVID-19 vaccinations will be required for all staff that will be working in a Macmillan Learning office, or have job duties requiring them to travel for work. If offered the role, the candidate will need to provide proof of vaccination in advance of their start date. Employees can request religious and/or medical exemptions to this requirement by following the process outlined in the offer letter.
Macmillan Learning is seeking a Sales Representative for our Portland, OR Territory. The primary focus of this Sales Representative is to sell all Macmillan Learning solutions across assigned accounts. The objectives of this position is to promote Macmillan Learning products as either required and/or suggested student textbooks, references, software, website, or study aids for any/all courses in which Macmillan products might be appropriate at each campus.
The Sales Representative will be initiating daily in-person, on-campus sales calls with college faculty, mainly, but also administrators and technology staff, and providing detailed follow-up. This position will focus on the Portland, OR region, and it is expected that the incumbent will live within that region.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Travel to local college campuses selling textbooks and educational software products to faculty (35-40% overnight travel).
- Develop strong relationships with new and existing customers by demonstrating our products, recommending solutions, and providing service and support.
- Work collaboratively with your Regional Manager, regional product specialists, and marketing and editorial teams to help drive the sales of all existing products.
- Coordinate onboarding and training of digital products, act as the point person for ongoing training and support, complete First Day of Class presentations and communicate with specialists and RM for escalation of customer support cases.
- Use Salesforce to plan and complete your sales activities as well as maintain a current and accurate data base of relevant information.
- Attend and actively participate in company meetings
- Manage the expense budget allocated to perform job related responsibilities.
- Provide feedback on competition, market trends, and market reaction to our products
- Manage heavy influx of emails on a daily basis
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Direct outside sales experience Required
- Publishing or Higher Ed experience preferred
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a sales team
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to thrive in a self-starting environment
- A knowledge of and/or an interest in working in an academic environment
- Organized and results-oriented
- Proficiency with using technology and basic applications software
- Comfortable presenting technology to individual instructors as well as to larger groups
- A valid driver’s license is required with daily travel within territory including some overnight trips along with the ability to drive for long periods of time (up to 5 hours), depending upon the territory involved.
- Ability to travel – Attendance at national sales meetings and regional meetings is required (5 or more days)
- Ability to work more than 40 hours per week during the fall and spring selling seasons
Regular full-time and qualifying part-time employees and their dependents are eligible for Macmillan benefits, effective on the employee’s date of hire. Macmillan also offers health benefits coverage to qualifying same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners (may require additional documentation) of active employees.
- Company Car
- Competitive pay and bonus plan
- Generous Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Contributions to your Registered Retirement Savings Plan
- Generous paid time off policy and paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program, Education Assistance Program
- 100% employer-paid life and AD&D insurance
- Fast-paced, intellectually-challenging professional environment
- And much more!
Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world’s best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Late Nite Labs, EBI-MAPworks, i<clicker, REEF and Hayden-McNeil.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels.
The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources at Macmillan Learning.