Manhattan Youth is looking for several part-time After-school Bus Counselors to join our dedicated team for the 2021-2022 school year. We are seeking punctual, reliable, responsible, intelligent, and personable people to transport our students from their elementary school to our downtown community center for after-school programming. After-school programming begins September 13th for elementary schools and September 20th for middle schools.
As an After-school Bus Counselor, you will play a critical role in keeping the children in our program safe as they move from one location to another. Bus Counselors meet at one of our 3 off-site locations to gather and transition students via school bus to our Downtown Community Center where they participate in activities such as cooking, spa science, digital media, and swim lessons. Bus Counselors should possess strong group management skills relevant to children including high vigilance, effective line up methods and youth engagement skills. Bus Counselors also participate in after-school programming while at our Downtown Community Center. Qualified candidates will enjoy interacting with people, love being around children of all ages, have a ready smile, and a lot of patience.
We are looking to fill multiple roles in order to return our after-school programs to in-person learning. These are part-time, hourly positions available during the school year from September through June, following the NYC DOE schedule. After-school programs run every day NYC DOE schools are in session, including half-days. After-school programs generally run from 2:00-3:00 to 6:00pm Monday through Friday. Individual schedules will vary by school.
Bus Counselors must be available to work Monday – Friday 2:15pm to 6:00pm.
- Ensure safety of groups of children as they transition from one location to another by using positive framing and adhering to safe practices;
- Provide strong group management by engaging children in fun and positive ways;
- Perform welfare checks on children (untied shoelaces, coats on or zipped, backpacks on) and ensure they have all possessions;
- Perform regular head counts and coordinate with the Bus Team Leader to ensure accurate attendance;
- Participate with children in after-school activities;
- Manage group transition from Downtown Community Center Pool Level back to the bus;
- Perform other job duties as required.
- Prior experience working with children in a summer camp or after-school setting;
- Currently enrolled or some college preferred;
- Strong communication skills;
- Proactive self-starter with a positive attitude and a team player mindset;
- Hardworking and professional demeanor with a willingness to learn;
- Excellent references;
- Strong desire to work with children and a commitment to Manhattan Youth’s mission.