Manhattan Youth is looking for several part-time After-school Teachers to join our dedicated team for the 2021-2022 school year. We are seeking dynamic and energetic individuals to teach financial literacy and lead our students in stock market games.
After-school teachers are expected to guide students in their social, emotional, and academic development across a range of areas including sports, arts, academic enrichment, and leadership. We are looking for creative, energetic, curious, and enthusiastic teachers with a commitment to positive behavioral approaches and teamwork.
Qualified applicants are proactive, caring and results-oriented teachers devoted to evidence-based practices that promote student achievement and well-being. The ability to maintain a positive, caring, and fun attitude; to learn and grow from mistakes; and to set an example as a continuous, open-minded learner is critical. After-school teachers will exhibit creativity, innovation and passion in teaching and are expected to help create an environment that encourages in children creative thinking, verbal communication, independent exploration, self-confidence, self-awareness, and a problem-solving approach to conflict.
This is a part-time, hourly position available during the school year from September through June, following the NYC DOE schedule. After-school programs operate Monday – Friday from 2:30 – 6:00pm and clubs are 1.25 to 2.5 hours long. Individual schedules will vary by school. Opportunities exist to teach multiple clubs at different schools.
- Work with Education Directors to design program curriculum;
- Create lesson plans and curriculum based on Manhattan Youth’s class descriptions and goals;
- Structure classroom instruction to promote student-centered, project-based learning;
- Plan, organize and prepare activities and materials for daily schedule and lead children in classroom activities;
- Promote and model Manhattan Youth’s core values and behaviors for staff and students;
- Collaborate with other staff to create a positive community and showcase of student work;
- Actively update Program Director regarding classroom progress and challenges;
- Participate in MY staff meetings, development sessions and comply with training requirements;
- Ensure safety of groups of children during classroom activities, recreation and field trips, and address emergency situations;
- · Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- 2+ years teaching experience with middle or elementary school children, after-school setting preferred;
- Currently pursuing a degree in education or related field, Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Demonstrative knowledge of and passion for content area, professional experience a plus;
- Experience with educational technology instruction and practice;
- Ability to build and maintain positive and respectful relationships with families, students and coworkers of diverse backgrounds and identities;
- Proactive problem-solver, able to anticipate issues and thoughtfully handle unanticipated events;
- Willingness to hear feedback, self-reflect, learn and work to improve performance and outcomes;
- Excellent communication skills, ability to articulate ideas and knowledge clearly;
- Multi-site flexibility (may be asked to work at different sites depending on need);
- Ability to love, understand, listen to, nurture, support, and accept all children.