Manhattan Youth is looking for several part-time After-school Teaching Assistants/Group Leaders to join our dedicated team for the 2021-2022 school year. We are seeking dynamic and energetic individuals to assist in delivering a wide variety of programs including sports, recreation, and competitive activities; STEM and other academic enrichment; visual, performing, and creative arts; and leadership, community service, and social justice.
As a Teaching Assistant/Group Leader, you will serve a critical role in our ability to deliver programs to the children in our community. Working with Activity Specialists, you will gain hands-on experience with students in our after-school programs. Teaching Assistants/Group Leaders are expected to help create an environment that encourages in children creative thinking, verbal communication, independent exploration, self-confidence, self-awareness, and a problem-solving approach to conflict.
Qualified candidates will be punctual, reliable, personable, organized and fun. The right candidate will love, understand, nurture, support, and accept all children.
We are looking to fill multiple roles in order to return our after-school programs to in-person learning. These are part-time, hourly positions available during the school year from September through June, following the NYC DOE schedule. After-school programs run from 2:00-3:00 to 6:00pm Monday through Friday. Individual schedules will vary by school.
- Greet students, take attendance and supervise students during transition periods (arrival, snack time, transfer to other activities, dismissal);
- Lead students in recreational and/or sports activities;
- With Activity Specialist, prepare activities and materials for daily schedule and assume responsibility when necessary;
- Maintain open communication with Site Director, Activity Specialist(s) and other staff;
- Ensure safety of students during all activities and address occasional emergencies;
- Participate in professional development opportunities and work toward leading classes independently;
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- 2+ years after-school, camp or classroom experience or currently pursuing a degree in education or a related field;
- Excellent communication skills, ability to express ideas clearly;
- Ability to work in a team, take initiative, proactively address challenges, and maintain a positive attitude;
- Willingness to learn, work hard and take responsibility;
- Excellent references;
- Previous experience working with children in an after-school program preferred;
- Past participation in theatre groups, varsity sports or significant volunteer experiences a plus.