Manhattan Youth is seeking Counselors for our early childhood programs at our downtown community center in Tribeca. Our downtown community center offers daily programs for children 6-months to 5-years old. If you have a passion for working with children and will thrive in a kid-friendly environment, then Manhattan Youth is the place for you! This is a great opportunity for those interested in a career in early childhood areas. Manhattan Youth provides abundant opportunities to develop your skill set and gain valuable experience with children.
The Early Childhood Counselor/Activity Specialist works closely with children and caregivers helping to provide a safe and welcoming place where our downtown families can relax, enjoy, and find their community. Counselors alternate between leading and assisting with activities (Art, Storytime, tumbling, etc.), engaging with children and adults, and supervising open play spaces. Ideal candidates will be professional, friendly, energetic, and enthusiastic.
These are part-time year-round positions, approximately 25-30 hours per week. Daytime and weekend shifts are available and ideal candidates will be available at least 2-3 days per week including 1 weekend day.
- Oversee the well-being of children ages 6 months- 5 years old as they engage in activities and use the open play space
- Ensure the safety of the children at all times and address occasional emergencies
- Lead or assist with activities as needed and facilitate children and caregivers’ participation
- Facilitate a positive community environment for all participants
- Answer questions and maintain open communication with community center members
- Follow all safety and emergency procedures and guidelines
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
- Experience working with children ages 6 months — 5 years is a plus, additional preference will be given to candidates who have or are working towards a degree in early childhood education
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to maintain a pleasant and friendly demeanor
- Ability to work in a team, take initiative, proactively address challenges, and maintain a positive attitude
- Willingness to learn, work hard and take responsibility
- Excellent references
- Commitment to Manhattan Youth’s mission