Manhattan Youth is seeking qualified Swim Instructors and Lifeguards for our year-round aquatics programs. Swim instructors work with swimmers of all ages spanning a wide range of abilities and are expected to create a positive and supportive learning environment. Candidates must be punctual, reliable, personable, and have a strong desire to work with children and families.
We are looking for instructors who can make swimming a fun, safe and memorable experience. Candidates should have experience working with children of various ages or have a background in swimming with a willingness to learn how to lead swim lessons. Previous experience with Parent and Child classes is a plus. Candidates should feel comfortable working with a wide range of participants.
Manhattan Youth swim programs include:
- Parent/Child Songs Classes (6 mo-2 years)
- Parent/Child Structured Swim Lessons (2-3 years)
- Private lessons for infants, toddlers, and preschool children (3-5 years)
- Private lessons for school age students (5-15 years)
- Semi-private swim lessons for school age students (5-15 years)
This is a part-time position, 20-25 hours per week. Ideal candidates will be available between 3 and 5 days during the school week from 2:45-6:30pm.
- Monday – Friday 2:45 pm – 6:30 pm and/or
- Saturday 8 am – 5 pm
Pay: $20-30 per hour, depending upon experience, 20% increase after 3 months
- Plan lessons, select age-appropriate drills and evaluate children’s swim levels and progress
- Provide positive feedback and adjust lessons as needed to address individual needs
- Ensure a safe, clean and organized pool environment
- Maintain ongoing communication with deck supervisor and administrative personnel
- Maintain a positive and energetic attitude and exhibit passion for teaching swim lessons
- Wear appropriate attire
- Attend in-service training sessions and staff meetings
- Perform other job-related duties as required
All new swim instructors must attend in-pool orientation sessions before beginning work.
- 1-2 years of experience conducting progressive swim lessons, or a willingness to learn
- WSI certification a plus
- Lifeguard Certification useful
- Exceptional communication skills and work ethic with the ability to work on a team
- Exhibit willingness to learn and develop skill set
- Current CPR/AED and Lifeguard certifications through the American Red Cross a plus (Re-certification can be provided)
- Commitment to Manhattan Youth’s mission and a strong desire to work with children and families